Sea Creatures, Revere MA

Sean Irwin

Non-member
Not to be confused with the similarly named Sea Creature Aquarium in RI, Sea Creatures is located at 200 Lynnway, Revere, MA 02151.

On Saturday, My girlfriend and I made the trip from Cambridge and after several wrong turns (courtesy of google maps) we finally made it. I had very high hopes for this place since the two other reefcentric LFS? I visited were really good. Sadly, we found the place to be a bit mediocre?When we first walked into the store the older gentleman behind the counter didn?t even acknowledge our presence, despite being the only people there.

The predominantly LPS and soft corals in the ?main? area of the store looked very good: nice polyp extension, color and etc. There wasn?t tons of variety but there were a few exotic frags at fairly reasonable prices. Frags of more common things (like candy cane corals and mushrooms) seemed a little expensive but were within the normal range ($20-40). They also had several very healthy anemones including a very attractive green carpet. Logically it follows that if they could maintain finicky animals like anemones, all the other livestock should be just as healthy. Sadly, we found this not to be the case.

Next to the main store area was a large room filled with various fish, corals and inverts. The corals again looked very good but the inverts and fish were not in the same condition. In just about every tank we found dead and dying fish. Not just dead fish but decomposing corpses. Multiple fish of the same species were housed in relatively small tanks leading to lots of aggression. The bottoms of the tanks were filled with mulm and detritus and cyano. Perhaps I was there on an off-night or I was still agitated by poor directions but the health of the fish lost them my business.

I was there last week and noticed the same things! Ive been there twice so far and niether time did the sales people acknowledge my presence. Not even a hello. And yes I noticed how sick most the fish looked, did you see the maroon clown!! I was quite upset with it, I had intentions to leave with something for my tank cuz they do have a huge selection but who wants to buy sick fish. Basically I dont see myself going back there again unless I just want to view what will be my next fish that wont be bought from them but maybe somewhere else like [reference to other shops removed per the policies inforce in this forum]

Last edited by a moderator:
Humm, I can't say I have purchased recently, but I have purchased many times from there before. I would have to say that this isn't the typical way John runs his store.

Did either of you ask what was up by chance? Many are quick to judge but you might not have all the facts. For example a prolonged power outage or something. Im just saying take your concerns to the owner and I bet you will get a resolution you would be happy with.

im a little biased because i work close by and have become good friends with john and the guys that work there, but it must of have been an "off" night if you were seeing unhealthy fish. i have shopped for fish and coral all around and the best success rate for me with fish has been from them.

it is also the only store im aware of that guarantees their fish for 3 days outside of jumping or an anemone or other fish being the cause of death. john (the old guy in front) is, imo, probably one of the most knowledgable people around when it comes to fishes all over the world. he used to collect for many years, and ran a business doing so out of hawaii.

the store is undergoing renovations in order to add more showtanks, so its not as pretty interior decoration wise as some other stores, ill give you that, but the fish and corals always look good to me.

the other thing about them not acknowledging your presence, is on purpose because they dont like to hound people. they feel that if you have a question than you should ask and they will gladly answer.

i say go back and get talking to john about some techinal type stuff, and i can almost promise a change of mind.

just my opinion!!! -derek

{POST REMOVED}Employees of fish stores are not allowed to post in this forum. Thanks, Nate

Ya I dunno. Like I said though Ive been there twice and never have they acknowledged my presence. THey were just chatting among themselves or maybe to a regular costumer the whole time. My first visit I didnt notice any unhealthy fish that I remember, but last time there was a few dead fish and quite a few unhealthy. Who knows it coulda been a power out, so I cant totally blame that on them I guess. But honestly I wont waste a 45 min drive there when I can go 30 mins to [references to other shops removed per the policies in this forum, please read the posting rules]

I agree with Derek. That guy knows his fish and once you get him talking you won't get him to stop. He's a very friendly and knowledgable guy.

Back