Sick tangs

mrow1997

Rhody.reefer
BRS Member
Hello everyone,
I have lost 2, soon to be 3 tangs/rabbitfish to the same reason, with no clear disease I can actually see.
Fish begins to get skinny over the course of a month, becoming emaciated and losing color. Then drops dead. Randomly
I think internal parasite… however I’m unsure the course of treatment to take.

To describe behavior, over the past few days the fish has been hiding more, coming out in short spurts. Today it came out and just dropped to the sand bed, to pick itself up and bring itself back into its cave 5 minutes later.

I plan on treating with metroplex as its reef safe. However not sure what it is or what else I can do to treat/prevent my other fish from getting it. Like I’ve said, it seems to be specific to tangs. Which the last one is a true Hawaiian yellow which I am horrified to lose.
Any ideas?

Note:
Yes, water quality was lacking over the course of November-January. And it is now back on track. As I recently began carbon dosing in early with excellent success.

How long does it take for these fish to die after you first notice symptoms?

Symptoms of intestinal worms/parasites include: White stringy feces, pinched stomach, fish has faded coloration, unexplained weight loss i.e. fish eats heartily but still seems to be losing weight. Internal parasites are more virulent than worms, and thus can kill faster.

How long does it take for these fish to die after you first notice symptoms?

Symptoms of intestinal worms/parasites include: White stringy feces, pinched stomach, fish has faded coloration, unexplained weight loss i.e. fish eats heartily but still seems to be losing weight. Internal parasites are more virulent than worms, and thus can kill faster.
I would say this has been a slow progression, over the past few weeks. But the color change happened drastically.

I would say this has been a slow progression, over the past few weeks. But the color change happened drastically.
Sounds like internal parasites. Instead of dosing metroplex; I would food soak it so the medication gets delivered through the gut where the parasites are likely living.

Or you could food soak API General Cure or Fritz Paracleanse. Both of those contain metro + praziquantel. The latter would be useful for clearing out intestinal worms also.

Sounds like internal parasites. Instead of dosing metroplex; I would food soak it so the medication gets delivered through the gut where the parasites are likely living.

Or you could food soak API General Cure or Fritz Paracleanse. Both of those contain metro + praziquantel. The latter would be useful for clearing out intestinal worms also.
Going with oral metroplex for now. But thank you for the ideas

Back