"slurry" salt mixing!

Joel A

Started over.
This is an interesting tip that i just ran into on a different site.

Basically, the idea is dissolving a whole entire bag of salt in a 5 gallon bucket... So say a reef crystals 25 gallon bag, or a similar bag from another salt company. You dissolve the whole entire bag in a 5 gallon bucket... well this salt is obviously extremely concentrated and not suitable for use in an aquarium.... so what you do is you then use 1 gallon of that highly concentrated salt to make 5 gallons of usable salt water (1 gallon of "slurry" 4 gallons of pure RO). So you're still getting the 25 gallons of salt water advertised, just in a slightly different manner.

So now you're asking, ok what's the point? Well... salt mixes are all designed to have a set amount of certain elements (like Calcium,alkalinity, and magnesium). But the issue is that since the salt is bagged, these elements will settle out and give you inconsistent numbers from batch to batch... for instance you might make up a 5 gallon bucket simply usuing the appropriate amount of salt for 5 gallons and then test it to find it has an Alk of 7.5, and calcium of 420.. then the same bag of salt a week later, mixed in the same pr option will give you a different amount of calcium and alkalinity. This is because they put the necessary amount of these elements in the bag, but you're not going to get the same amount in every cupful you take out of the bag because the elements "settle out" over storage and shipping periods.

Since you are now dissolving the whole bag, you are getting the appropriate (consistent, whatever they may happen to be) levels of these major elements in every gallon of salt water that you add to your aquarium. The same applies to if you simply made 25 gallons of salt water... but it's obviously easier to make 5 gallons of salt water than it is 25 gallons.

So to sum it all up, dissolve a 25 gallon bag of salt in 5 gallons of RO water... cover it, keep it agitate via powerhead (or what have you) and use 1 gallon of that ultra concentrated salt water to make up 5 gallons of tank ready salt water. This will make it so you know you are getting the same amount of calcium/alkalinity in every gallon you add to your tank, and the Ca/Alk levels you are getting are likely to be a LOT closer to what the manufacturer says the salt mixes out too.

Just though some people might find that idea useful...

i like it but what if you buy a 5gal bucket of salt at a time

well, i suppose you could use the same method, but on a larger scale. Buckets are typically 35 lbs.. and i think they generally make about 150 gallons of salt water. If you dissolved it all in a 50 gallon container than you could use 1 gallon of slurry per every 3 gallons of pure RO. Just make sure you keep the math simple by keeping the numbers easy to work with...

That's one of the reasons why i'm no longer a fan of salt in the big buckets though.. it's just not as practical because since it's such a large quantity it sits for a very long time and is generally a lot more inconsistent than salt out of a bag. IMHO a 200 gallon box is a much better deal than a 160 gallon bucket.

can you really mix 25lbs of salt with 5 gallons of water? Does it all disolve? how hot does the water have to be?

where do you get the 200gal box? is it 4 50gal bags?

yeah, most stores/retailers sell it at a reduced price too since you're buying in bulk.

Sixspeed- I'm not really sure to be honest, as i've never tried it. From what i read about it though, no one reported that as a major issue... they just said you need to keep the water agitated well. My thoughts are heating the water to 78 degrees should be fine, just don't expect it to mix up quite as quickly as normal. FWIW i've recently swtich to Tunze Reef Salt as the parameters it gives me are closer to what NSW levels are, and what i'm looking to achieve in my system. It seems to dissolve a good deal easier than the old IO that i was using previously...

Don't mean to rain on the parade, but unlikely that the calcium will all go into solution. If it does it will probably precipitate out over not a very long span of time. You may have to add back more calcium and alkalinity, maybe even magnesium.

But hey, give it a try on a small scale. Depending upon how concentrated you make it it might work to some degree. You'd be more likely to get away with this if you made up the salt mix on your own and left out certain components.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, but unlikely that the calcium will all go into solution. If it does it will probably precipitate out over not a very long span of time. You may have to add back more calcium and alkalinity, maybe even magnesium.

But hey, give it a try on a small scale. Depending upon how concentrated you make it it might work to some degree. You'd be more likely to get away with this if you made up the salt mix on your own and left out certain components.

Well, like i said i just stumbled across it.... it was a discussion about different salt brands, and a number of people were using the method. I've never done it myself, but in theory it seemed good.

What about if you mixed it in a higher ratio of water (like 10 gallons instead of 5).

Maybe i should run an experiment and give it a try?

Currently i'm mixing all of my salt up at the same time.. i'm using the 25 gallon or so bags and mixing up that much water at one time, and probably using it for 2 water changes over the course of 2-3 weeks. Works well, but if the "slurry" method worked it seemed like an even better alternative.

Not that I don't believe you Greg, but maybe we could get Randy to weigh in on this?

Very interesting.

Not sure if I am going to buy into it until I see more Data.

Ya never know though.

Very interesting.

Not sure if I am going to buy into it until I see more Data.

Ya never know though.

Well that was my thoughts as well. A pretty interesting (simple) yet innovative idea that would be awesome if it worked to get rid of a stupid issue (inconsistent salt batches).

I'll have to try it... i'll report back when I do. Feel free (anyone else) to do the same.. the more data collected on something like this the better. I'll also have to pm the guy i saw talking about it and ask him some questions.

FWIW i think he made 5 gallon batches and used them rather quickly.. maybe good for a short term but no as great for keeping salt water long term?

"FWIW i think he made 5 gallon batches and used them rather quickly.. maybe good for a short term but no as great for keeping salt water long term?"

Makes sense to use it right away.
Can you imagine the brick you would have if you did use it for a long time and the water evaporated.lol

so it does work... but there are a few catches..

you need to add the calcium chloride in AFTER you mix the salt... so it doesn't work for your typical salt mixes, only the rare salt mixes that package calcium chloride separately for you (like gettanked salt mixes)

Last edited:

However, to add to what i just said above, you are correct about this... well in terms of calcium at any rate.

Calcium is added to the water right before you do a water change.

Ok you must be wicked good in science class like the labs and stuff.... I hate those lol

I had read about this before too... And wondered if it would work.... But never bothered to try. Good to know that I shouldn't do this with red sea coral pro

Thanks
corey

this habit IS a lab......and my experience with high doses of Ca in a mix agree with Greg's findings....the Ca precipitates out.

I'm mixing my batches 40g at a time these days, and the reason I am up at this hour is my flood alarm woke me because a turbo got into the 1 remaining single drain tank left in my fish room, and 40g of water just dumped onto my floor......I'm too lazy to drill a second drain into this tank until the whole thing comes down next month.

this habit IS a lab......and my experience with high doses of Ca in a mix agree with Greg's findings....the Ca precipitates out.

I'm mixing my batches 40g at a time these days, and the reason I am up at this hour is my flood alarm woke me because a turbo got into the 1 remaining single drain tank left in my fish room, and 40g of water just dumped onto my floor......I'm too lazy to drill a second drain into this tank until the whole thing comes down next month.

well this one is fun

yes, if the CA is mixed in with the "slurry" it will precipitate out, and deplete the alkalinity as well, I believe.

Say Jay, I had a few floods myself... but i fixed all my issues, when are you going to follow suit? :D

yes, if the CA is mixed in with the "slurry" it will precipitate out, and deplete the alkalinity as well, I believe.

Say Jay, I had a few floods myself... but i fixed all my issues, when are you going to follow suit? :D

assuming I'm going to be able to stay in, everything that I end up with after my breakdown/downsize next month will be re-drilled as double-drained, so a single drain failure will (hopefully) never cause a flood again.

My back was just getting to the point that I was going to be able to start doing some reef/tank/fish room projects again (on a small scale) when my wife decided it was time to buy a new house.

I wasn't going to rebuild/re-plumb a fish room that was going to be torn down in a matter of weeks, so my reef has been in a holding pattern since the end of June.....because it was only to be broken down in the third week of September. :( I've kept up with ATO, water changes, and kept my chemistry in range, but that's been about it.

What foothold I will have left in the hobby after I move is up in the air....there are a LOT more time and $$$ demands in the new house...not sure where I'm going to be. To quote the prophet James Buffett, only time will tell.

Back