Suggestions to get past post-build blues?

MrX

Non-member
Tank has been running for just over a year. Everything **knock on wood** is finally stable. Fish are all healthy and getting along. Most of the corals are growing... just waiting for things to fill in/etc.

I don't want to add any new livestock and take the chance of introducing some parasite/disease/etc.

What do you all do to maintain your interest level when you get to this point? It's happened with my previous tanks; one I had to sell because of work changes (company was sold out under us), and the other I just got bored with it.

I'd like to see all the corals fill in and take off, but I need something to keep me engaged.

I don't have a controller, doser, etc., nor do I really want to get into all of that. I've enjoyed keeping this go around really simple.

Suggestions?

It’s about to be summer. There will be more than enough distractions. Take a break, then start *fragging* in the fall.

Edit: autocorrect doesn’t know reef jargon

Last edited:
Do you like the area where the tank is? I am not suggesting moving the tank, but would you want to change anything about the lighting or furniture? Better storage for tank stuff, some cool new LED lighting for ambient light (nanoleaf is fun), artwork, better seating to enjoy the tank from?

This might be a time to upgrade YOUR creature comforts as your creatures grow out.

Find a DIY project automating something about the tank - making your own filter socks, or a roller filter, or a bigger better RODI setup etc...

Do you like the area where the tank is? I am not suggesting moving the tank, but would you want to change anything about the lighting or furniture? Better storage for tank stuff, some cool new LED lighting for ambient light (nanoleaf is fun), artwork, better seating to enjoy the tank from?

This might be a time to upgrade YOUR creature comforts as your creatures grow out.
Good ideas, but I think I'm set with most of them. Tank is in my home office (where I spend most of my time). I have a mirror on my desk to I can look and see the tank if I want. Otherwise I just spin my chair around and can roll closer.

Canopy and tank stand were custom build by the guy I bought this setup from. There's enough room near the sump for equipment. And I already bought a storage unit on wheels that is close in color to the stand.

Artwork-wise my kids painted me some pictures, and a family friend gave us one of his paintings. They are all on the wall near the tank (pictures in my build thread).

Find a DIY project automating something about the tank - making your own filter socks, or a roller filter, or a bigger better RODI setup etc...
If the 10+ filter socks I already have ever start to break down I guess I could look into making some (the ring would be a PITA). Roller filters look to have more issues than they are worth. My RODI is already 150GPD and doesn't really need an upgrade.

On previous tanks I had a Neptune, and was even working on a RaspberryPI controller (ran a club project for that years ago). Not too interested in going back to either of those. "Simple is as simple does." - Forrest Gump (or someone)

Back