sump build questions

Firereptile

Non-member
I am putting together a sump for a 55 gallon tank. I will be using an Eshopps PF-1000 overflow box (can't drill because the tank is made of tempered glass). I have heard that the Eheim 1262 is the best return pump option if your trying to make it as quiet as possible but if there are other good models or sizes then I would like to know. Additionally, is there any particular kind of tubing that is the best for sumps?

I really like the Sicce Syncra pumps. Mine is dead silent. Also they are adjustable so you don't have to have any valves on the return line.

In process of building up a 120. My research indicates that the newer DC pumps such as Wavekine by RLSS are quieter plus you can adjust their speed instead of restricting flow. You might want to check out. Eheim 1262 is a super pump.

I have an RLSS skimmer (DC pump) and a RO DC10500 return pump. They are very quiet and sip electircity. The 10 minute feeding cycle button is nice too.

Downside, after a year or so my skimmer pump has started to get unreliable on restarts. A replacement "newer model" pump is supposed to be on the way under warranty but I don't have my hands on it yet. Time will tell, hopefully the replacement skimmer pump will be more reliable....

I like these pumps a lot, but not if they have to be replaced every year or two.

I picked up a Diablo DC 5500 for my return. I'm in the process of doing my plumbing for this rebuild and will have it up and running soon so I don't have any personal experience with these..... However I hear they are great, quiet, energy efficient, and has 6 different flow settings..... Plus also has the 10min "feed setting" which will shut the pump down for 10 min and automatically restart after, as John had mentioned is a plus.

Back