Take a poll who has their tank gfi protected?

Oops. My house was built in the 20's...the electricity isn't exactly up to par...when I set up the 60g, I'll get an electrician.

I have mine through one of those GFCI plugins. Flicks the power right off when you try to plug stuff in with super wet hands... (Note if you get one of these, to get one that is "automatic" in that it comes back on automatically in the event of a power outage / flicker).

I don't but I do have drip loops and tank on 15 amp circuit. I've seen too many lobster tanks at Stop & Shop turn off in the middle of the night due to GFIC devices kicking out for no apparent reason.

I have 2 dedicated 20 gfci for my tank. I like being alive.

Chris why'd you use both a breaker and receptacle? I see no need for the redundancy.

20A seperate circuit, GFCI in wall, New tank Im thinking of doing one outlet, each side wired to its own breaker. When the tank eventually comes down I don't want two outlets in the wall. Im also actually thinking of putting one in the ceiling so I can plug my lights into it.

Derek

In this hobby gfi protection is very important. A heater or a pump malfunctioning could cause you to get shocked. Not fun.

I have the majority of my tank on a 20 amp gfci setup. I run my return pump on a traditional outlet cause I don't want a "false" current tripping it and cutting off the tanks lifeline.

I have the majority of my tank on a 20 amp gfci setup. I run my return pump on a traditional outlet cause I don't want a "false" current tripping it and cutting off the tanks lifeline.

Exactly, motors are the #1 thing that falsely trip a GFI. I only have one outlet at tank so I don't have one.

I have the main pump on it's own GFCI protected circuit. If it trips, the power heads and all the other equipment keep on running. The lights are also on their own circuit and they have tripped the GFCI more than once. So in all I have 3 20 amp GFCI circuits.

Mine has the heater in the sump so while I'll keep current in the tank due to a host of other measures, I don't have a heater in the DT so I need the return to continue to deliver water from the sump

I have the main pump on it's own GFCI protected circuit. If it trips, the power heads and all the other equipment keep on running. The lights are also on their own circuit and they have tripped the GFCI more than once. So in all I have 3 20 amp GFCI circuits.

if you have a heater(s) in the sump and when your GFCI circuit trips, your tank can be in danger .

Mine has the heater in the sump so while I'll keep current in the tank due to a host of other measures, I don't have a heater in the DT so I need the return to continue to deliver water from the sump

Agreed, return pump is #1.

Back