Talk me into or out of a Reefmat roller filter

LaneBrain

BRS Member
I’m on the fence. I love the idea that this is an automated system that will really filter out gunk. However, I don’t love the idea of modifying my sump (sump that came with reefer 350) to remove the filter socks for it. If anything happens to the Reefmat, and I had to go back to socks, I couldn’t. Also, the Reefmat would be another mechanical thing that could fail.

What are your thoughts?

My reefmat 500. In a 16” x 16” sump. How much modifying do you really need to do?
I hate socks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
They are truly great , however you must also stay on top of your water chemistry a bit more than usual as in some cases it will strip your nitrates and/or phosphates. Which for some is a good thing, unfortunately for me it wasn't and the dosing of nitrates or feeding more simply become cumbersome and I did away with the roller.

I have a Klir di-4 in my Reefer 300 xl. Needed to print a replacement sock tray and a Damn to allow water level to raise but I love it because no real modification to the sump.

@eliotgorman used a different roller mat and also hooked it up to a 300 xl with no sump mod. There is a thread where he documented it

I love it, best thing I did

If your reefmat fails you will go and buy another reefmat. You will never go back to socks. You will run without socks or a reefmat before you go back to socks.

I had a custom roller built by Granite State Aquatics and it is INCREDIBLE. It fits right into my sump without modification. I could not recommend it more, it has made keeping my tank SO much easier, and the work Josh does is absolutely amazing. I recommend it to EVERYONE

I had a custom roller built by Granite State Aquatics and it is INCREDIBLE. It fits right into my sump without modification. I could not recommend it more, it has made keeping my tank SO much easier, and the work Josh does is absolutely amazing. I recommend it to EVERYONE
A wealth of knowledge he has. Imagine if he didn't bad mouth other vendors when he was part of this community, and not being able to follow any rules other than what or how he interpreted them as.

Not withstanding the potential for reduction in nitrates or phosphates (my sense was socks had a similar impact on nutrient reduction), roller filters are game changers in terms of maintenance frequency and effort. Was changing socks every 4 days, and made a stinky mess in the process.

The roller mat needs a new filter roll ~once a month and tank is clearer in the mean time - never going back to socks.

Some devices seem a bit expensive but some research can offer more affordable options as well.

Last edited:
I can't comment on the Reefmat brand, but I love my Aquamaxx AF-1. Had them for a few years and ended up buying 3 over the course of time. I made a cleaning device out of PVC pipe that acts like a loom and sits in my slop sink. I just blast the dirty roll with a pulsating shower head that connects to the faucet while turning a crank. This is also one of the most reasonably priced offerings and I love mine. Zero problems and a simple design that easy to get to fit almost anywhere.

I can't comment on the Reefmat brand, but I love my Aquamaxx AF-1. Had them for a few years and ended up buying 3 over the course of time. I made a cleaning device out of PVC pipe that acts like a loom and sits in my slop sink. I just blast the dirty roll with a pulsating shower head that connects to the faucet while turning a crank. This is also one of the most reasonably priced offerings and I love mine. Zero problems and a simple design that easy to get to fit almost anywhere.
I have an Aquamaxx also; would you mind sharing some pics of your cleaning setup? Those replacement rolls do add up.

Interesting so you clean the mat? I was thinking about that depending how often I have to change them

I’m assuming they last a few times just curious how often you throw them out

I have 4 rolls from Aquamaxx. The oldest is about 2.5 or 3 years old and shows no signs of wear or giving up. I rinse them in sink then soak them in a 5 gallon bucket with bleach. Usually overnight, but I've forgotten and left in the bucket for weeks with zero ill effects. At first I rinsed them after the bleach but now just just drop them into a barrel of RO water for a couple days then let air dry. Truth be told this filter works so well I think it almost takes too much out of the water column. Be sure to watch your parameters and don't be shocked if you find bypassing it slightly makes your corals happy. I'll try to get some pics of the "Gadget" for cleaning up in a little bit. The damn slop sink is full of freshwater stuff and its not set up....lol

And in case you like tweaking or tuning here's some interesting info. I reasonably sure the Aquamaxx is rated at 50 micron, and if you want go further you can run a roll of mat for a CL-5000 that fits and is rated at 20 micron.

Hopefully the pictures give you the general idea. The Blue container would have water in it so the fleece is buoyant and comes right out and over the first roller sleeve. The black O-ring locates the roller and keeps it close to the back fence that keeps the fleece aligned for neat spool-up. I made a drive for the take up side on the right out PVC cap with a screw coming out of it. I made a drive for the take up spool on the right side, but even at low speeds a cordless drill goes too fast. It rolls up by hand pretty quick.

Attachments

• IMG_6937.JPG
    IMG_6937.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6938.JPG
    IMG_6938.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6939.JPG
    IMG_6939.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 99
Hopefully the pictures give you the general idea. The Blue container would have water in it so the fleece is buoyant and comes right out and over the first roller sleeve. The black O-ring locates the roller and keeps it close to the back fence that keeps the fleece aligned for neat spool-up. I made a drive for the take up side on the right out PVC cap with a screw coming out of it. I made a drive for the take up spool on the right side, but even at low speeds a cordless drill goes too fast. It rolls up by hand pretty quick.
Nice - thank you

I tried a Bubble maggus filter roller as I was limited on space,seemed ok in the beginning but as time went by I was less impressed.
Quite a bit of material was not trapped and ended up in my sump creating more work . I also found if I cleaned my rocks the extra detritus would cause the roller to advance several times in quick succession and chemicals in the fleece would cause my skimmer to overflow.
Other brands may be more efficient but I went back to a large sock.

I have the large Bubble Magus also and found the same issue. I feel the unit is slightly wider than it needs to be and at times some bypass occurs and let's junk through at the sides of the roll. I disassembled it and took about 3/16" of the width of the grates and acrylic rods that hold the body together. the fleece is just slightly narrower than its track and it no longer had any bleed through. I think the Aquamaxx is THE best bang for your buck out of the box. I'm modifying the Bubble Magus so no motor is required.....lol

Basically, it's a water wheel that fills a cup and the weight causes the fleece to advance. If I get it tuned and working correctly I'll post some pics.

I just got a reef mat 500. Havent had it for long enough to say anything about results but its a quality piece of equipment and its really well thought out. I downsized my skimmer to fit it in so hopefully the pros will outweigh the cons.

Back