Tangs my have ich...

I would not treat at all.
Feed them well and they will recover shortly. I've been there several times. This is common for tangs (and other fish) newly introduced to a new home.

i have a small hippo probably 1 to 1 1/2in she came with ick about 8 months ago. when i see spots appear i take a fresh clove and grind it with flack food throw it in all the fish love it and about 2 or 3 hours latter the spots are gone. its been like this for awhile now and it all seems good. jm2c

i have a small hippo probably 1 to 1 1/2in she came with ick about 8 months ago. when i see spots appear i take a fresh clove and grind it with flack food throw it in all the fish love it and about 2 or 3 hours latter the spots are gone. its been like this for awhile now and it all seems good. jm2c

What kind of clove? Garlic clove?

yup just a strait up garlic clove from the fridge.. press it then mix a little with some flake or whatever you like. iv done it at least 20 or 30 times now with no bad effects only good ones!! the ick spots go away by the night works for me... although my little one never really head spots all over head to tail just 4 or 5 little spots around the head and top fin but i guess its all different anyway

Garlic is believed to help boost the fish's immune system, and possibly irritate the ick a bit. It's by no means a cure, but it is one of the things you can do when you choose to "manage" ick in your system.

I found the only effective ich killer for the tank was letting it lie fallow/fishless for 8 weeks. Then I waited one more week, because I didn't want to do it for 8 weeks again.

I have tackled ich on a couple occassions. IMO every positive treatment you read about will have 10 negatives posted after it. I don't know what works or does not. I do know the the sence of resposibility on my part drives me to take some type of action. My now standard approach is Kick ich, increase 02, turn on the UV and always have a couple of cleaner shrimp. If I had to guess I would say the cleaner shrimp are my savior. The two times that my blue hippo had ich he would head right to the cleaner shrimp. Did it work? I don't know....but all my fish lived (75g) and I have not had a problem with ich in several months. Good Luck, I understand the need to do something, anything.

Lots of people manage ick for yrs without any major losses.

Copper and hypo both can and do work if done right (but don't try to combine them). The problem is that many people don't do those treatments correctly and thus you hear mixed reviews. Read up and understand the life cycle, and it starts to become a lot more clear why some things work and some don't.

Just fed everyone fresh garlic tonight mixed with flakes and vitamin/amino acid, they all loved it. See how that goes. Working on getting some cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse.
I had put a small piece of macro algae in my tank for a lettuce nudibranch in my 35 hex tank and it took over. I got rid of 99% of it. But it's rooted in one rock and growing. I was excited to see the sailfin found it and already ate most of it! :)

Last edited:
fwiw my fish had ich about 2 years ago. i fed them lots of food packed with vitamins and garlic for months,,now 2 years later i will see maybe one little white spot on one fish maybe once every 2 months. IMO this is the best method because you no sooner cure your fish using copper or hypo and guess what,,you bring home a new coral and or fish and bam! more ich,,back to qt for ANOTHER 8 weeks... the heck with that

fwiw my fish had ich about 2 years ago. i fed them lots of food packed with vitamins and garlic for months,,now 2 years later i will see maybe one little white spot on one fish maybe once every 2 months. IMO this is the best method because you no sooner cure your fish using copper or hypo and guess what,,you bring home a new coral and or fish and bam! more ich,,back to qt for ANOTHER 8 weeks... the heck with that

you don't put them in your main tank, you QT them individually in a separate tank so you don't expose your other fish. One little white spot every two months still has the potential to blow up into full body coverage. That's all it takes to kill one thing or everything.

it is my understanding that by the time you see the spots some cysts have already dropped off into the water? so removing sick fish to avoid seeing spots on other fish is useless,,,no?

Correct, if you want to eradicate ich, it's all or nothing. You either treat all your fish & let your tank run fishless, or you do nothing. The reason is if you isolate one fish and treat him, he will be ich free (in its personal QT tank) but the main tank will still have fish (which serve as ich food) and free floating ich (developing parasites) which is a recipe for another outbreak.

What I meant was it is a good idea to treat everything all at once so you have a "sterile" ich free system. Then when you want to add new fish treat them first before you introduce them into your ich free main tank.

finally got everyone out and into a qt. Did copper and hypo salinity. Had sal at 1.021 then in the pm dropped it to 1.016. Tonight I will bring it to 1.013 or 1.014 and leave it there for the duration of the qt. So far I have lost my orange clown, the red sea sailfin. And the black clown is doing bad. The remaining three are the black clown as of this morning, yellow tang and cardinal. I think the black clown will be dead when I get home. :(

I would go back to where you got them and demand new healthy fish..... If you get loud you will get your way. just make sure our friend isn't there....

finally got everyone out and into a qt. Did copper and hypo salinity. Had sal at 1.021 then in the pm dropped it to 1.016. Tonight I will bring it to 1.013 or 1.014 and leave it there for the duration of the qt. So far I have lost my orange clown, the red sea sailfin. And the black clown is doing bad. The remaining three are the black clown as of this morning, yellow tang and cardinal. I think the black clown will be dead when I get home. :(

You should never do both treatments at the same time. Do one or the other. Doing both together can be fatal for the fish.

That said, do not raise the SG rapidly, the fish are much more sensitive to SG going up than they are to SG going down.

this is ashame. sorry to hear about the problems however the 2 times Ive tried hypo it was too stressfull and killed all the fish. Was the feeding and monitoring not working ? Did the fish seem worse for it and force you to try another means of treatment?

Jimmy is defiinitely right, you shouldnt do both treatments at the same time and lowering Sg should be done at a very slow well monitored pace.

Best of luck and hope it all works out.

Well I guess I will chime in with my experience's. Yes a QT tank is best when ever dealing with Ich, Copper based Medication and leave your main display fish free while the Ich cycle goes through it's process.

If you simply cannot get another QT tank going and you do not want to harm the rest of your reef with copper based medication you should look into NO-ICH from Fish Vet. I had an Ich problem that claimed 2 of my fish. After adding NO-ICH for one week my fish have been Ich free.

Here is a link-

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19768

"I will bring it to 1.013 or 1.014 and leave it there for the duration of the qt."

I missed this part earlier. 1.013 is not low enough for hypo treatment to be effective.

Please please please chose either hypo OR copper, and execute whichever you go with to the letter. Hypo and copper CANNOT be done together. If you do hypo, the level cannnot go above 1.009 or it will be ineffective. IIRC Hypo and copper together creates a very serious risk of permenant and potentially fatal organ damage. (both seperately can cause internal damage if done too long, but both together is totally unsafe).

Back