tank cycling advice

ShelleyBoston

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
So I finally got my new all in one Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon tank setup over the weekend, I got the tank and the matching stand, I am looking for advice to get the fastest way to cycle the tank. This is what I have done so far.
I added 20lbs of Fiji Pink live sand, about 15lbs of Pukani dead rock and filled it with the bottled ocean water that comes in a 4.4Gallon jug. The water says that it has live bacteria in it, I also added one bottle of Bio-Spira bacteria for good measure.
I was thinking of throwing 1 cube of frozen brine shrimp to start the cycle.
So I am open for any suggestions that may help speed up the process. I do not want to use a fish.
Thanks!

Its common to use a shrimp to get things started just a 2-3 inch one you get at your local food store, but your frozen cube will likely do fine.

Jim

I just used live sand from another member on the board and made a 2" sand bed. That was all I needed with a bit of time.

Sounds like a solid plan. Between the mysis cube and whatever's in the pukani rock you should be good. Not much you can do to speed things up unfortunately. Keeping your lights off for a while gives the bacteria an advantage over algae when it comes to using up the nutrients you introduce. Also, running the tank a little warmer, around 82 or so, may help speed up the growth. It worked for me.

I would throw in a carefully inspected piece of live rock for diversity and coraline. If you don't you won't have any pods, tube worms or sponges.

Unfortunately nothing good comes fast in this hobby.

With that said, I've heard good reviews of Dr. Tim's additive. Also, make sure to test the water before adding any livestock.

Thanks for the suggestions, I know i have to be patiente now! its not easy... lol I have a 6 gallon that I want to transfer over the new tank so looking to cut some time off the cycling process.

My last tank I set up I used live rock from CRA and "Live Sand" (as purchased from BRS), I tested every other day for two months or so and the tank never cycled.

Jim

The use of pure ammonia ( no scents added) can speed up the process by as much as a week...it will take 4 to as much as 7 days for the decomposing shrimp to turn to ammonia .... if you add pure ammonia to the tune of around .50ppm and test daily until it can flip it over night... by increasing the dose after each flip you can tune your bio filter capacity... raising the tank temp also will help the bacteria form quicker..

The tank temp is set to 82 at the moment, 2nd day and still showing 0 ammonia, I will buy some liquid ammonia later at the hardware store and add a few drops.

When I used the Bio-Spira bacteria, I did not use any additional ammonia or shrimp in the tank.
I never saw a cycle and added corals in the 2-3 week period. I have the same tank and used one bottle of Bio-Spira.
IMO I wouldn't add any ammonia or cocktail shrimp to your tank, that's what the bacteria is there for. Add a few fish you will
have and feed lightly. No algae no nothing.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...-s-M-Fusion-20g-mixed-Reef-Journal&highlight=

Last edited:
I transferred some corals from a old tank (which started October 2014),
but a majority of it is new from January 5, 2015. So about a year.

Today I tested for ammonia again, the tank has been running for about a week now, I fed some brine shrimp about 4 days ago and I am reading 0 ammonia. Does this mean all the bacteria I introduced at the begining is actually taking care of the bio load?.. can this tank have cycled already?

No, it probably hasn't started yet. Give it another week and you'll start seeing the ammonia level rise, try adding more than just brine shrimp or add more shrimp. You definitely want to make sure the tank has a good solid cycle.

this is precisely the reason for using pure ammonia..it takes the guess work out of cycling...if you add enough to get a reading ( say .50 for a start) and 24 hours latter you read 0ppm... you then bump it up to say 1ppm and read 0 24 hours or 48 hour latter you can gauge how strong your biological filter is......I have used this method for both fresh and salt water tanks and used it this spring when I had to remake my ornamental pond after last winters snow took out the pump and heater leaving 12 dead Koi and shabukin gold fish in it's wake...

Back