The tank swap has begun...Pictures

smcnally

Tankless
Well, I'm a little scared but I started. I drained a bunch of my water into 2 rubbermaid containers (24 Gallons each) and already had a 45 gallon container going with leftover rock in it. I put SPS, Clams, and some LPS in one container. Then put Softies, Zoas in the other. I split the fish, crabs, and snails between the two. Then put all my base rock in the large container with the other rock. I put a heater in each and powerheads for circulation. I figured I could swap the skimmer between the livestock tanks daily even though everything should be in the new tank by Wed night. Everything looks good so far. Everything is opened up and fish are swimming. Here's the pictures:
DSC01326.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

DSC01325.jpg

Oh yeah, I have 10 Gallons of salt mixed up and figured I would do a 5%-10% change daily just to be safe since there is so much in each tank. Also have 5 Gallons of RODI made up for top-off.

this is me said:
Very nice!!. looks like you're well prepared.
Yeah, but I'm so scared I'm gonna kill something in the process. By the way, my sandbed has been going for almost a year (4" DSB) It didn't stink at all. Is that normal? It seemed so clean.

jebar777 said:
lucky you...was that a x-mas gift to yourself?
Kind of, but not really. I got it about a month ago. I did a bunch of work for a guy, and used the money and stuff I got from him to help me pay for it.

Good Luck & watch out for chemical warfare since they are in such a small container. That is how I lost most of my sps when my tank sprung a leak way back. I only had mine in a 150 gal aggie tub for two days with powerheads & heaters. One milli got pissed after about 30 hours & started RTN ing & that is when all hell broke loose. A chain reaction of rtn. I was able to save frags from the sps colonies but most of them were nubs. The leak happened on a Sun night @ 11:00 pm I had a new tank in place by 4:00pm Monday & filled by 10:00 that night. Good luck & keep a close eye on your sps. If you see something starting to rtn get it out of the tub fast!!!

Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping the skimmer I have running will help a little too. Luckily, I don't have much SPS right now, so if they went on me it wouldn't be a huge loss. But I have a couple that I've had since I started my tank, so it would be a bummer if they did go on me. Everything looks good still, but I'm sure I'll wake up at 3am and check on everything :D

Good luck with the move Steve. I'm around all day today, you can call me if you need anything. I'll PM you my number. I have 55g of salt water ready to go and 20g of RO. I also have containers to carry it in. Let me know if you need any.

Daire

Good luck Steve! I'm sure you'll have a lot of volunteers to help out if anything seems to be heading south on you -- don't hesitate to give us all a shout...

Here we go...The Carpet just got finished, and with the help of my trusty "Easy Sliders" :D I slid the new tank right into place. I have about 90 Gallons of water made up (50 of it from the old tank). I'm hoping that's enough after you count the space taken up by the rock and sand. Like my in wall chiller? LOL I'll have to remove the canopy if I ever need to replace that AC.
DSC01329.jpg

smcnally said:
Here we go...The Carpet just got finished, and with the help of my trusty "Easy Sliders" :D I slid the new tank right into place. I have about 90 Gallons of water made up (50 of it from the old tank). I'm hoping that's enough after you count the space taken up by the rock and sand. Like my in wall chiller? LOL I'll have to remove the canopy if I ever need to replace that AC.
DSC01329.jpg

You could poke a few holes in the wall & install a vent system outside & into the canopy........... Poor mans Chiller :cool:

Back