Thinking of starting a 92 corner..

Bitingthesun

Non-member
Hi everyone

I haven't been "active" in a while but I'm getting back in.

I'm thinking of doing a 92 corner tank and I'd like to know if anyone has some advice. I know the corner tanks can be tricky with the sump size and internal flow...

thanks

k.

I just helped my brother setup a 92 Corner RR. I wouldn't do it again. First of all, the stand is very tall for these Oceanic tank. I can't get it into the door, So we had to cut it down to 28". Looking at the fishes, they are bigger because of the curve glass. There isn't much space to put in a larger sump than a normal 20gallon High unless you have a custom sump. it isn't that long, so limited space for fish to swim.
Good thing about it is that it is looking very nice in a living room.
If you are more about the fishes, get a long tank
If you are more about decoration and make to make your living room looks good, get this tank. Save alot of space and looks good.

hope this help

thanks Bao,

I have considered the shape. Not looking for a lot of fast swimming fish. Maybe a pair of Maroon clowns. I like the depth of these corner tanks and the aquascaping possibilities.

Where are you located? if you are near me you are more than welcome to check out my 92 I love the foot print. Yes they are tricky but done right they are very nice.

same offer here if you are in MetroWest. I fixed the sump issue by going to the basement. It was a compromise in tank size to fit space and decor limitations, but I am very fond of my 92, and i spend more time watching it than I do watching the 'main' TV that is also in that room

Thanks Jay

Have either of you drilled these tanks or did you get them RR?

I'm considering getting the inexpensive 92 for sale, but I have some reservations about drilling it and installing the internal overflows in that back corner...

I got mine RR. If I were setting up the tank TODAY, I would have drilled a backup drain besides the RR that came with the tank.

There are many members, and also some LFS who will drill it for you. Go for it!

IMO corner tanks are more of a PITA than you think. I had a 54 corner and every day I hated it more. There are limitations on aquascaping, most people just stack the rock up like a pyramid against the back corner, rectangle tanks offer sooo many diff. ways to scape. (commimg from a person who has re-scaped my tank too many times to count!!, and every time I like it for a month, then I see someone else's and change it). The thing that I disliked the most was with the tank in the corner you can't see through the two side walls at all (without getting your head stuck between the tank and the wall!!) There is a whole other world living on the back sides of our tanks...sponges,critters etc.. and to me its cool to look at it. Granted with a typical tank that is against the wall you cant view the whole back side but you can look through the sides and get different perspectives on your system, but with a corner its the front pane and thats it! Plus a lot of the cool or colorful fish need 4ft plus to be happy( although we all know
"that guy" with three tangs a foxface and a school of anthias in a 70tall!! or a 54hex!!) Plus those same fish help with algea controll etc. And also maintenance is harder with a corner esp. the 92 you need a step ladder to reach the back half of the tank, thats the reason I went with a 75 instead of a 90 or 120 because with the height of my stand( an oceanic mission cherry) I wouldnt be able to reach the sand bed without the help of a step stool or ladder, and space is already limited so I didnt want to drag out the step to do things. All of this is my opinion, but take it from someone who had a corner for a year. I've been so happy since I moved the 54 corner from my living room (CARPET!!) to my dining room (TILE yay!, spills are inevitable
{sp})All it took was a nice gift for my second half to get permission to move systems LOL. Sorry for the rant!

also anyone have any other ideas for sumps that would fit?

If you want an in-stand sump a standard 29 gallon glass tank fits under the 92. For my 92 I made a sump, but the dimensions are very close to a 29, just an inch wider and a few inches taller. If you want to start putting a CA reactor or other equipment outside the sump it will get tight real fast, but I've seen some threads on RC where it was done and looked great.

I know debating the merits of the corner tank wasn't the point of your thread, but I like mine. Gives the illusion of being much bigger than it is when compared to a rectangle 90. Aqauscaping is easy with a little imagination/creativity. I used the extra depth to do a horseshoe with the rockwork, going along one side coming 1/2 way across the other then back out on the sand bed as it drops in height. I'll post a pic if I can get one, maybe a top down would show best.

I have only had my 92 up a couple of months (many thanks to JayM and his advice!) but I have no regrets about choosing it and like it more all the time. If the basement is available, definitely go that route with the sump and equipment, but I know lots of people who use an in-stand sump also.
As far as the fish swimming room, just buy a little smaller fish to start to keep you from swapping them out so often or just go with fish that don't need so much room, there are plenty out there! I think the aquascaping can be as plain or as fancy as you choose no matter what the tank is, it is all in the person, not the shape of the tank. I for one don't mind the pyramid setup along the side walls, I kind of have a center portion that juts out as well. If you can overcome the size constrictions, lighting challenges, etc. there is not a better showpiece to put in a livingroom than a 92 corner. Especially if your wall space is limited.

Last edited:
I disagree! I've seen so many amazing aquascapes that would be close to imposible to pull off in a rectangle tank. Im actually stopping by Oceans of Pets later today and they have a very unique looking aquascape in their corner tank. I'l take my camera when I stop by, it might give you some good ideas on how to do yours with out just making a pyramid.

i love my 92,to me it was the easiest of all the tanks ive owned to aquascape.even cleaning the front glass with a magnet is a peice of cake..i had my concerns.the hardest part for me was lighting. i tried 2, 250 mh pendants.it shadowed in the center a little,so i went with 1, 400mh pendant and love it,
tankproject029.jpg
[/IMG] hope this helps

thanks a lot guys for all the great info.

Mike, great tank.

I have some great ideas for the aquascaping, and I've never been very into fast swimming-type fish.

I've seen some pretty amazing "not-long" tanks aquascaped with an Island of LR centered. I do like that look. Reminds me of some Freshwater Takashi Amano layouts.

As far as fish go, I like the gobies, clowns, and maybe smaller hawkfish for this tank, but who knows?

well, I'm going to pick up my 92 today.

Thanks for all the advice.

anyone have some more good picts of their 92?

I'd also love to see any under the stand picts if anyone has some.

~k

Back