Thoughts on rescaping established tanks

Mark2109111

BRS Member
Looking for thoughts on whether it is ok to re scape established tanks. I have a Red Sea reefer 200, and have SPS Zoas and euphillia that are all doing amazing. However as I get more into SPS I am realizing I should have planned better with more high PAR sections. I was debating a complete overhaul but am worried to mess with my tank as it is doing better than I could have hoped.

Any input/advise from those who have more experience would be amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_5073.jpeg
    IMG_5073.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 58
I had a lot of nice sps but was looking at the seams of the tank and thought it was a good idea to just swap the tank from one 40b to another. I lost 75% of my acros and didn’t change much of anything except the tank. Not sure how or why but that was my experience. My lps and zoas didn’t flinch though

I have 160 gal reef tank and tend to rescape every 1-2 years. Get rid of a few rocks and corals that have overgrown and replace them with new stuff. There is always the risk of introducing a pest or infection, but I’ve not had any issues.

Throw out the zoas rock and you’ll be fine to rearrange the rock work. As long as you don’t stir up the sand too much, it should be fine.
Also, if that tank is really 24”x21”x20”, consider getting rid of those tangs!
I usually don’t like to tang police but this is too much.

Last edited:
Throw out the zoas rock and you’ll be fine to rearrange the rock work. As long as you don’t stir up the sand too much, it should be fine.
Also, if that tank is really 24”x21”x20”, consider getting rid of those tangs!
I usually don’t like to tang police but this is too much.
You don’t like zoas for the bottom/mid area? I got rid of the powder blue and the blue hippo is about 3” now and will get a new 90 gallon in September!

I wouldn’t be too concerned about rescaping an established system. After my 3/4 year old system began to be overrun by green mushrooms and green palys. I rearranged the aquascape In order to address the issue, I removed the rocks covered in the two. As previously mentioned try your best not to stir up the sand bed. My biggest concern was a rock collapse as my rocks are not cemented together in the 32. Here are some before and after photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1318.jpeg
    IMG_1318.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You have zoas taking over the main rocks. When you move them, you’ll inevitably break them and release paly toxin into the tank.

Back