vortech mp10 in 28 bowfront - sad face

rschroeter

Reef Keeper Heavy
I've been in ultra nerd equipment drool mode over the mp line for a while, and today I got one home mp10es W.

I have a 28 bowfront now, but plan (3-6 months) to setup a 120g soon.

I asked ecotech if a mp40 would be too much on the 28, because it would be nice to buy the mp40 now so that it can be used without additional sell/buy of equipment. They gave me the published ratings - and not much else.

So, for the price, i figured, I'd use a mp10 for now, and then buy an mp40 later when I have the 120 gallon tank and use both.

Well, I was really pumped to get this home and finally try it out - which I just did.

I'm very underwhelmed by the flow this produces on full power. I was expecting a hurricane in my tank - or at least that in a 28 gallon tank, that full power would be blowing sand too much that I'd have to dial it down. Wrong - :confused: in fact, my return pump produces the more violent flow, and if I had to estimate it - I'd say my return is driving 70%, and the mp10 is driving 30% of the flow. head-scratching.

Does this surprise anyone? I know the reason I got this was to produce an 'As close to real reef' flow (ie: not just constant flow) but I was expecting a LOT more than this. Maybe I'm a flow snob.

Should I return this and spend the $$ on a mp40 and then dial it down? Darn - that's just so much money though (almost double?). :::confused:
Or are my expectations a bit off in so much as I should be happy with the programmable and modes it can perform in -rather than the sheer power it can produce. If this is any indication - then this thing will be useless in a 120.

MP-10's are made for nano tanks. A MP-20 would be more appropriate for that size tank. I do believe it would be useless in a 120. Another option would be a Jebao WP25.

+1 on the Jebao's. I have a 29 biocube and the WP10 is perfect. its controllable as well, and what I think makes them even better is that you can move the direction. If you can deal with the cord in the water then they are a great buy. My WP10 was only $60. I don't remember the rest of the pump prices but look at Love the Reef's forum and you can find all the prices there.

Get one Jebao for your 120. Watch youtube videos, just one Jebao WP40 in a 125 generates some really nice flow.

Can u still return it? For the price you can get two wp25's and still put money back in your pocket.

Something does not sound right. I have an MP10w on my 47 and that thing moves some water. It is positioned about 3"-4" below the surface and at full power it makes ripples/waves an inch high across the surface. I cannot imagine that it would not be enough for a 28 or move less than a return pump. I would call eco-tech and see what they say. Keep in mind that these pumps really move a large cushion of water at a time, not just a jet like a powerhead, and I'm wondering if that is what is deceiving you. But you should still see flow. I sometimes worry that the thing is going to blast the polyps off the A. millepora that is about 10" away from it. I made a short video to show what it looks like in my tank. If you compare the flow visible on the surface of the water with what you see inside the tank there is a big difference. That is due to the big cushion of water being moved instead of the sharp jet that is stressful to corals and would just stir things up.

Here is a link to the video (watch in HD for best detail) http://youtu.be/Y9Lyfv9L7fI

I also have an MP10es in a 30gal nano. It produces significant flow and I can't run it more than 50-60% capacity without disturbing fish, corals and substrate.

Did you buy this pump new? It sounds like something is wrong with it or it isn't installed correctly.

Something does not sound right. I have an MP10w on my 47 and that thing moves some water. It is positioned about 3"-4" below the surface and at full power it makes ripples/waves an inch high across the surface. I cannot imagine that it would not be enough for a 28 or move less than a return pump. I would call eco-tech and see what they say. Keep in mind that these pumps really move a large cushion of water at a time, not just a jet like a powerhead, and I'm wondering if that is what is deceiving you. But you should still see flow. I sometimes worry that the thing is going to blast the polyps off the A. millepora that is about 10" away from it. I made a short video to show what it looks like in my tank. If you compare the flow visible on the surface of the water with what you see inside the tank there is a big difference. That is due to the big cushion of water being moved instead of the sharp jet that is stressful to corals and would just stir things up.

Here is a link to the video (watch in HD for best detail) http://youtu.be/Y9Lyfv9L7fI

I agree. The Vortecs move a very large and widely dispersed stem of water so it may not look as impressive. I have one on my 80 gallon 4' tank and it by itself moves the polyps on acros on the opposite side so they definitely have some serious flow. If it's really not doing anything it's defective. Contact Ecotec and they will help you out. They're customer service is outstanding IMO

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hey all - thanks for the advice - both to those providing other options such as the Jebao WP40 (may look into this for the 120) as well as those owners of the mp10es w. The example shown by RichardinMa (youtube) shows me what it is supposed to do - and my unit isn't producing the way his is. WPeterson and evan, good ideas - I'm going to contact them about it.

This unit was Brand spankin' NIB from our sponsor Underwater World -which by the way is a fantastic shop. Purchased brand new shipped from dist. So I will have to see.

The comment by wpeterson that
I can't run it more than 50-60% capacity without disturbing fish
is exactly what I was expecting to see when I hooked it up.

Obviously it is your choice on what to do but I would seriously reconsider going with a different brand. The MPs have some major benefits and the external motor is one of the best, especially on a smaller tank. Much less heat and lower profile. The customization capabilities are also great, especially when you don't have to buy an extra controller to do it. If you get more to use on your bigger tank then the way the work together is really amazing. JMO!

I'd check the wet/dry side connection - is it well centered? Did you use the right spacing for your glass?

Otherwise, Ecotech has amazing support and they should take care of this.

This just sound crazy numbers dont lie 1500 gph in a 30 is alot no sand would sit still and to say your return is 3x faster is to say ur return is a 4500gph thats just not possible to drain that fast in that size tank lol... sorry i am a huge fan of these products i also purchased one from greg at under water world.. but i have had 3 mp10 on a 30 gal so i hear what you are saying but i could not go more then 25% with them....i am also not trusting a pump yet that has a week warrenty i had a mp10 3 months out and they did not care about a fix it needed so they do break and bad ones are sold just call vortech its a great company and great pump i woulnt use another other then a tunze.

Last edited:
quick update - I tried to get help from EcoTech - they just told me I might have it off-center and placement is very important. I decided that since I'm going to be building a 120 soon - better return it and just shoot for the mp40w ES's. My original thinking was that if I got the mp10 for use on my 28 now, that it wouldn't be money wasted when adding it to a larger tank later. I thought a mp10 + mp40 would be good for a 120. But after trying it - and deciding maybe my expectations were simply too high, that I need to cut cord on this idea, and go for mp40's.

Btw - Underwater world was very helpful. They offered to have me bring it in - and they'd look at it, test it, and tell me whether there was something wrong (even offered to call ecotech with me when I brought it in). I didn't want to waste their time, so I just returned it (gladly paying the restocking fee that comes with returning a used piece of equipment).

I think it's a great product, and as such I'll just step up to the bigger one which will surely be the right thing for my 120 (two of them - one on each end).

I got a pair of MP40es W's on ebay for $650, and it included a free Vortech Pump Battery Backup. Thought that was a good price as both units were 2013 and arrived in great condition. Though they are for the 120g I'm building, I had to try one on my 28g. I have it running now at 20% and it is doing a great job. After seeing the performance of this unit I'm happy I returned the mp10. I still don't know if my mp10 was defective or not, but glad I have these units.

Considering this unit is running at 20% doing a great job, I'd suggest others buy this item instead of the mp10 unless you're in a much smaller tank (nano) such as 20g or less. The cost is definitely a concern, which is often overlooked by people who do reviews (Mr Saltwater Tank) he always tells you how awesome equipment is without a single word on price or value for the price. I just saw a video where he reviewed a GHL dosing pump (fully automated) with modularity -of course this German made item worked beautifully -but he failed to mention it's a $500 item!

So long story short- I'd splurge for the MP40 even going into a tank as small as a 28. The fact that you can dial the power you want is great- without worrying about an MP10 barely keeping up at 100%. Though, as others have noted, the MP10 does a fantastic job for them - so it's sure possible I goofed up the install of the unit I had, or the unit I had was defective.

Good choice. I have a couple of MP40s ES W in my 120G and love it. My tank is 30" wide and as mentioned before, the MP40s have a very wide flow and 2 covers the whole tank.

I am not concerned with making waves (wouldn't work too well in my rimless tank anyways! :p), so the wide flow pattern works great on my setup.

BTW, $650 for 2 MP40s and a battery back up is an awesome deal dude! You scored!!! :cool:

Higor

Good choice. I have a couple of MP40s ES W in my 120G and love it. My tank is 30" wide and as mentioned before, the MP40s have a very wide flow and 2 covers the whole tank.

I am not concerned with making waves (wouldn't work too well in my rimless tank anyways! :p), so the wide flow pattern works great on my setup.

BTW, $650 for 2 MP40s and a battery back up is an awesome deal dude! You scored!!! :cool:

Higor

Thanks! I thought it was a great find. The item was listed on ebay - and only buried in the details did the seller mention that he had two units, and if someone bought both, he'd throw in 'a battery' -didn't really even explain that it was the Vortech pump battery. I snapped it up right away - I had an alert set for these pumped, I suggest others do the same - and see when a good deal pops up. :)

I agree with the flow of the unit- it's like a wall of water moving somehow (vs a jet). I like the random mode.

As others I am surprised that the mp10 didn't perform.

I have oneon my 60 cube and at at full blast I can make a 2" wave/deflection at the surface.

It doesn't move sand around but that isn't what you want anyway.

As others I am surprised that the mp10 didn't perform.

I have oneon my 60 cube and at at full blast I can make a 2" wave/deflection at the surface.

It doesn't move sand around but that isn't what you want anyway.

After seeing video's of the mp10 in action - I'm with you; I was also surprised it didn't perform. Then again it's possible I just got a bad unit. And since I was going to a 120, I just decided my nearly $300 was better spent on the bigger units.

Back