Wanting to add algaes

KJB

BRS Member
Hi, I'm really new and I hoping to start a reef soon. Been doing my homework, but have a ways to go before I jump with corals.

I have seen some pictures of some algae that is beautiful. From what I have read it seems very beneficial to the tank. Some say with the right amount, you won't need a protien skimmer, and the clarity it provides is amazing...naturally.

My question is, will the types I want over run the tank? I may not want to keep many or any fish, I'm not sure I would want to be forced into getting a LM Blenny, or Tang, etc., just for the purpose of algae control. The algae seem like a great option, and are nice to look at. I have read that they are as important to a reef as coral. I would prefer to have some nice algae in my display tank, and not just hide it in a fuge.

Any experience with: Red or green Algae Plant
Shaving/Painters Brush Plant
Maidens Hair/ Turtle Grass
Mermaids Fan Plant
and maybe some Red Mangrove Propagules ( I think the mangroves ship dry)

Would love some help before I make a mess, Thanks.

There are some specialized environments a reefer might want to recreate where some of those algaes would be a good fit.... But in general the VAST MAJORITY of reefkeepers these days want to keep the macro algaes out of the reef.

Keeping plants in "reef" aquaira was once considered a good thing and a sign of success. BUT, those days have past long ago. In general macro algaes are very invasive in reef displays and do little if anything good. A lot of them will also actually contribute yellowing compounds to the water, and do nothing to promote water clarity.

What a lot of reefkeepers DO do these days, is to keep seperate refugim tanks with some different algaes. The purpose is to keep the algae seperate from the corals/display, nutrient export (aglae taking up nitrate/phosphate, harvest algae, nutrients exported...), and to allow a safer place for all sorts of microfauna to thrive. The majority of refugim set ups keep only or mostly cheatomorphia sp (I probably spelled that wrong ;) ), as it doesn't tend to get invasive, doesn't cause the water to yellow, and is generally trouble free.

The short answer is, no, you probably don't want to be adding macro algaes to your display. If you do, you man end up spending a whole lot of time and effort trying to get them back out later....

Sorry to be a bummer :eek:

Thanks, I guess that confirms my thoughts on it. I was reading about some of them online and it seemed like they were pretty much ordinary plants, but actually algae. If it sounds to good to be true,it probably is.

Here's the link http://www.aquacon.com/vip.html

Thanks again

Thanks, I guess that confirms my thoughts on it. I was reading about some of them online and it seemed like they were pretty much ordinary plants, but actually algae. If it sounds to good to be true,it probably is.

Here's the link http://www.aquacon.com/vip.html

Thanks again

Hehe, aquacon huh?

I suggest you do some searching ABOUT them, and you might want to check with their local BBB (somewhere in FL??). The name is more than a little ironic given their reputation ;)

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74004

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71809&highlight=aquacon

Totally agree with John.
You will want a skimmer. Skimmers use foam fractionization to get waste products out of the water before they fully break down and turn into ammonia (Ammonia = very bad).
THe size and type of the skimmer depends upon your application (IE - in sump, external, Hang on back) and the size of your tank. Skimmers IMO are always rated for more then they actually do. So if your gettting a 90 gallon tank, you want a skimmer for 150 gallons or more.

I had halmedia in my old tank BTW. Just grew there, I didn't put it there. It was kinda cool at first but it got invasive and I had to regularly yank big chunks of it out which in turn disturbed the sandbed and rockwork. It would also start to turn white and would break down in the tank.

Thanks for the heads up!! I checked out the link, that would have been a terrible start. Speaking of skimmers, there is a wet dry system ( basically a pre-fabed sump), that i really liked. It comes with a skimmer, pump, etc. My plan/hope, is to get the 37 cube i have been coveting, add a 2" base of sand with a 1/2 to an 1" of LS. Then find my dream cherry pic at Marco ( aroung 50lbs). I would remove the bio-media after the cycle, and cleaners are in, and relace with rubble. Hoping to keep corals, but a lot of homework left to do. here's the link to the wet/dry set up http://www.aquatichouse.com/FILTRATION MENU_files/advanwetdry.asp

It's a little pricey, I was hoping to find a similar set up here, pre-owned. Any advice would be great.

BTW> am i supposd to start a new thread with this question? Newb, the name say's it all.

IMO you don't want to bother with the wet dry at all. You said you would replace the biomedia with LR rubble, so I assume your aware that wet dry media doesn't really fit with a modern reef set up.

Your plan on the filter/sump sounds good, but IMO you'll end up better off in the end if you assemble seperate components to build your system.

The skimmer in that link doesn't look very impressive at all, and you'd be paying a lot for an acrylic contraption (the rest of the wet dry set up) that will be no better than a $12 10gallon glass tank and some easy DIY work to set it up as a sump. From there, you can apply the difference in $ to buying a real skimmer that WILL be worth the $.

I know it can be intimidating if your kind of new to this, but you can/will get plenty of help here. I've never seen an off the shelf, all in one, sump/skimmer/filter that was IMO worth it's weight in sand. (OK, ETSS makes some deccent set ups, but I would still prefer to save a lot of $ and build my own system. www.superskimmer.com is the ETSS website if your curious at all).

For your sump, what I would suggest is;
-Use an inexpensive off the shelf glass tank (assuming you can fit it under the cube??)
-find a quality skimmer that will fit in it
-then install the appropriate baffles/bubble trap(s) to make it work well as a sump.
-In that process you can plan in a chamber to hold some extra LR, but I wouldn't bother. I would suggest a refugim section, if you have room, that could be used to grow some cheatomorphia algae for nutrient export.

I'll happily help walk you through all this if you like, and I'm sure plenty of others in the club will offer a hand as well. *Starting a "help me plan my 37G cube system" thread in the DIY forum would be a great idea at this point as it would get good feedback and not get "buried" in the reeftalk forum :) *

Oh, and if your planning on going to the meeting today/sunday come find me. I'd be happy to talk it over at length.....

jk

Great advice, thanks!!! It is very intimidating. it seems no matter how much I read, it doesn't get any clearer ( hey thats a skimmer pun..right?). I will post a new tank thread when I get a little closer. I am bummed I won't be able to make the meeting, I had plans set before I joined. I do look forward to talking with, and meeting members of the BRS. This is a cool place, filled with knowledgable, friendly people. I am hooked!!!

Back