Waterbox destroyed me again… *EMERGENCY*

charbel1011

BRS Member
I dont know if you guys remember me but waterbox screwed me again. The first time they sold me a stand, that was broken, and literally in their emails they told me to bang it with a hammer, and took 1000 posts, and emailing a lot of people to send me the right piece. But now there’s another issue which is bigger issue.

My emergency pipe is literally next to the overflow box. Its literally exactly next to it. So it doesn’t matter what pump speed i chose. It doesnt matter what settings i put, it doesnt matter nothing. The water from the tank splashes directly in the emergency pipe. Im beyond frustrated you guys need to see the noise. I tried probably millions of troubleshooting steps, to stop the noise but i cant even stop it. And let me tell you about the wave makers once the wave makers turns on, it even worse. Shame on this company for not holding the accountability of their design its absolutely terrible.

If theres anyone who can help me or give me any advice i would highly appreciate it. Iv been fighting this since 2 weeks since i setup the tank. Its terrible. Im going to attach a video showing u the overflow box with the water all the way down, at the lowest pump speed, and u can see the water still flowing a littke into the emergency pipe. I dont want to empty the tank, and get the whole thing replaced but it seems like i have to please watch the videos..

“here im trying to explain the situation but its loud. But you can clearly see the water in the overflow box all the way down, and pump speed to the lowest, and water still splashing down straight into the emergency pipe.

(video explaining to my friend the situation)

Either that emergency pump is too short or too close. So if somebody here can help a new brother in reefing to have a better experience i would appreciate it thank u!

Gear: vectra m2 pump.
Vectra s2 for UV (closed loop)
2 mp40s
Red sea roller matt 1200.
2 xr30 radions

Size tank, what’s the pipe size? 40/80? I’d glue a 2”x 3” piece of plastic where the water is going in. (For a temp fix till this gets figured out) and a better shot of the plumbing would be good….

Just for a moment- can you use a credit card or something to deflect the splash away from the emergency? Does that mostly quiet it?

Size tank, what’s the pipe size? 40/80? I’d glue a 2”x 3” piece of plastic where the water is going in. (For a temp fix till this gets figured out) and a better shot of the plumbing would be good….
200G. 32mm idk whats that dimension to be honest i know the pipe size is 200ml. Idk how to get a clear pic for the piping under water

Probably a mostly separate thing- but you want the water level in the overflow to be up high, almost up to the emergency. It looks like it’s currently down low which will make a lot of noise in addition to the emergency problem

looks to me like your water level in the overflow is too low. set the return pump and use the valve on the drain to dial in the flow til you have just a trickle down the emergency drain

@charbel1011 what town are you in? I don't drive but could possibly come by if close to help you out rather than posting videos. As others have said let the water raise up in the weir box so it's not cascading

looks to me like your water level in the overflow is too low. set the return pump and use the valve on the drain to dial in the flow til you have just a trickle down the emergency drain
Probably a mostly separate thing- but you want the water level in the overflow to be up high, almost up to the emergency. It looks like it’s currently down low which will make a lot of noise in addition to the emergency problem
I did that on purpose. So i can show u that but here u go anothet video explaining a little bit better

@charbel1011 what town are you in? I don't drive but could possibly come by if close to help you out rather than posting videos. As others have said let the water raise up in the weir box so it's not cascading
Im in somerset mass. Im willing to pay for your uber fully and pay u money as well when u come extra to get this issue fixed it seems like the pipe is too big or not centered like somebody mentioned on the fb group take a look see how the pipe peeking to the left ?

Attachments

• IMG_4161.jpeg
    IMG_4161.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4156.jpeg
    IMG_4156.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 92
Yes that looks clear.

What happens if you deflect or block the water right there where it’s pouring into the emergency? Like put your hand in the way.

Another thought - Is the bulkhead that close to the overflow wall at the bottom? Or Does the emergency pipe have a lean to it? (making it closer to the overflow wall at the top where the problem happens)

Another thought - Is the bulkhead that close to the overflow wall at the bottom? Or Does the emergency pipe have a lean to it? (making it closer to the overflow wall at the top where the problem happens)
I gotta empth the overflowbox and take the pipes out and see what the world is going on

I gotta empth the overflowbox and take the pipes out and see what the world is going on
If the pipe does lean a bit, you should be able to loosen the nut on the bulkhead and then rotate it slightly so the lean is toward the back.

If the pipe does lean a bit, you should be able to loosen the nut on the bulkhead and then rotate it slightly so the lean is toward the back.
Im sweating myself been working from 6:30 am adjusting and playing with the pump speed. What a crazy day i tried to take a pic at the bottom and they alll seem aligned

Im sweating myself been working from 6:30 am adjusting and playing with the pump speed. What a crazy day i tried to take a pic at the bottom and they alll seem aligned
OK then don't worry about that.

I'm still wondering about simply deflecting that flow away from the emergency pipe. I'm picturing a half a plastic cup and a rubber band - this could bring you a good nights' sleep :)

DIY deflector
I went up on a ladder to check on my tank, and i was’t disappointed they drilled the whole piping and put it in the front. Vs my friend’s tank his is more centered.

Attachments

• IMG_4196.jpeg
    IMG_4196.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4189.jpeg
    IMG_4189.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 68
Huh, that’s a bit annoying.

One ide to address that- if you can source a coupler (PVC fitting, female to female, for joining two pipes end to end) in the correct size (probably metric?) you could cut that emergency standpipe ane then rejoin it but assembled with a little angle so you could then install it with a little lean toward the back - correcting for the odd bulkhead placement.

(The PVC coupler is intended to join the pipes in a straight line, but with a bit of tinkering and possibly only partially inserting the pipe into the coupler- you should be able to induce some angle or “lean”)

Do you know if the bulkhead that is on the emergency has any wiggle room in the hole of the glass? You could just push the bulkhead over towards the back if you did.

Back