"What makes it work" Vol ?: What's a sump?

Ok...our 100 gal. Rubbermaid horse trough...it does it all..heaters inside, chiller attached, gravity fed from tank upstairs, which also feeds into the fuge and Deltec skimmer, which feed back into sump...

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_2234.JPG
    Copy of IMG_2234.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 580
Moe_K said:
Nice, Bill.
How many gallons is that horse trough? Looks like the 100 gal size, correct?

Where do you put the skimmer, the heaters, all that jazz?
The sump is a 100g. The skimmer will be in a custom rubber maid. I plan on moving my fuge from the 75g on line in this system and adding a frag tank.
The heater is in the sump. the waste basket is filled with LR rubble. The filter socks are homemade felt really helped remove the sand storm.

a more wide angle view of the set-up...left front is the chiller, center is the Co2 tank, with the Ca reactor just behind it to the right, and down to the left is the circ. pump, an Iwaki 70 RLT..to the right is the skimmer. Directly above the Ca reactor is the return from the tank, with it's multitude of break-offs! Somewhat snake-like, it certainly does the trick. Oh, BTW, Flexspa is the BEST! In the left background, 2-55 gal. food grade containers, one RODI, one salt H2O. I have it set-up so that water changes are done with NO lifting at all! (Thanks to Bec for some GREAT ideas!)

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_2229.JPG
    Copy of IMG_2229.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
Thank you, Moe...what I have found with this hobby, you listen to others, watch others, and go from there. Some of this was my ideas, alot of it came from others, with some tweaking. Bec was an enormous help letting me take pics of her set-up, and asking questions until forever!

Full shot blue hose is from overflow from tank. White PVC at far end is return to tank. Lower left corner is top up tank pumped up red hose controlled by Reef Fanatic Level Controller w/2 Float Switches in sump.

Last edited:
Frontal view right side is overflow from tank and skimmer compartment. Then through baffles to center fuge section. Over another baffle to return section out to external Pump up to tank.

This is a pic (I hope it works) to my sump, it's a 20 gal long under a 29 gallon display. I just recently removed the refugium component, the light causes algae to grow every where in the sump, including the skimmer. All my tanks will have a dark sump and will incorporate Calfo's DSB in a bucket for nitrate removal. Why I am doing this is for another thread, I won't hijack here. ;)
PS the lumber holding the skimmer up is temporary I was trying to find the best working height for the skimmer so I can build an eggcrate or acrylic box. :D

Excellent, Dennis, thanks!! Winning a free manufactured sump must be nice. :p

NanoReefer - I don't see a pic.
There are instructions on how to post a picture in the "Useful Threads" thread, which is stuck to thte top of this forum.

Anyone else want to share? We need some shots of the cheap and no frills ways to go!

Moe_K said:
NanoReefer - I don't see a pic.
There are instructions on how to post a picture in the "Useful Threads" thread, which is stuck to thte top of this forum.
Thanks Moe, I wasn't sure if my blog site would allow me to link to a pic, problem is I can see the pic so I don't know if it works or not. :confused::)

It's here:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6633/1858/640/reef 059.jpg

It's been one of those days!!!:rolleyes: it should work correctly now

Last edited:
Anyone else want to share pics of your sump? On behalf of future newbies, I thank you in advance. :D

Back