What type of algae is this??

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I am trying to get a pic, but having a hard time. I am getting a bright green carpet type algae on some rocks, and older coral skeletons. It almost looks like moss on rocks in the woods. I havnt changed anything, except noticed my CUC is thinned out alittle two to an overweight mystery wrasse. I dont know if the fewer snail, hermits have led to this. Just curious if someone know what type it is. I will try to get a pic up

Thanks Derek

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359925921.124081.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359925949.069359.jpg

Might be Cyano? Are you carbon dosing?

I ran into this when carbon dosing, took me a while to figure out what is was as it was green and not red.

It does look like green cyanobacteria
I don't know what would eat it. I think it
is treated by changing lighting parameters or improving water quality.

Last edited:
I had some of that on my 16 gallon a couple of years ago, but at the same time I had red cyno in the tank at the time. I did two things I cut back on the amount of time the light was on and I used chemiclean. Both the red slime and the green stuff you showed in the pic went away. Not sure if was all on the chemi clean or the light kick back or a combination of the two.

I also used ChemiClean with excellent results. I have an entire bottle left if you want to borrow some. But I would def define what it is before treating your tank with an anti bacterial.

It looks like that bright green stuff in the picture on my rocks. I have a 75g dt with about 110g total water. Ive been pulling the rock out every weekend and scrubbing it when i do 25g water changes for about 2 months. Its getting old verty fast. Looking for options

Back