¿What type of algae and how do I get rid of it?

Looks like Bryopsis to me lettuce nudibrachs love to eat it!!

+1 on bryopsis. dont you have tangs, they love that stuff. and +1 on the lettuce nudi.

You can tech m it. Raise your mag with Tech M and it will kill it. Look up the process on line it goes something like raise mag over 1600 hold stable for about 3 weeks and it will go away. Also look into whey it's going crazy, to much food, not enough maintanance on tank. Good luck

Def bryopsis tangs don't eat it they will eat almost every other algae but not bryopsis. I have done the raising mag think and it seems to get rid of it but I found that it does come back if you don't scrub it off after it dies.

Yay! I posted this in hopes that I was wrong. Why am I always right? :D

I have heard that the mag dosing works but my mag is 1450 already without dosing mag. Does anyone have a thread on how to do the teck m dosing? Where can I get some for cheap? Does anything else eat this?

Thanks very one.

Never heard a tang eating it, rabbitfish yes, also some nudis eat it. If you do the Tech M, slowly bring your mag up to 1600 and keep it there for at least a week. Note with Mag that high your inverts will slow down and some may die. Seems to hit astreas and turbos the most. I had bryopsis, did the tech m and it worked but came back a few months later. I ended up cooking (no not in the oven or boiling) my rocks for about 3 months, haven't seen it back in over a year.

Never heard a tang eating it, rabbitfish yes, also some nudis eat it. If you do the Tech M, slowly bring your mag up to 1600 and keep it there for at least a week. Note with Mag that high your inverts will slow down and some may die. Seems to hit astreas and turbos the most. I had bryopsis, did the tech m and it worked but came back a few months later. I ended up cooking (no not in the oven or boiling) my rocks for about 3 months, haven't seen it back in over a year.

The tank is a 37 gallon and I wouldn't dare put a rabbit in there. What kind of nudis would work? This is my girlfriends tank and she loves inverts so I would do a nudi.

I think I am going to do the mag as a last resort since it may harm her already named inverts. Thank for the advise.

Have you try doing a hydro peroxide dip?

I have dose hydrogen peroxide into the tank. I haven't done it to the whole rock all together. This tank is in here office so I would like to do the least amount of mess possible. Do you think hydrogen peroxide dosing would work?

I had bryopsis on just one of my rocks.I took the rock out scrubbed it and havnt seen any since

Its not on one rock any more. i do pull it out every chance I get, but it seems to be spreading. Ill step up on my water changes which I had stopped since the dinos a month or so ago. I have been doing weekly water changes since then...

Do you think turbos would help?

The tank is a 37 gallon and I wouldn't dare put a rabbit in there. What kind of nudis would work? This is my girlfriends tank and she loves inverts so I would do a nudi.

I think I am going to do the mag as a last resort since it may harm her already named inverts. Thank for the advise.

Lettuce nudibranchs.

Lettuce nudibranches (which aren't nudibranches at all) are only a temporary patch. They're naturally short lived, and availability is going to be a problem this time of year. Bryopsis typical thrives in phosphate rich and alkalinity poor aquaria. What's your ALK currently reading? Keep in mind that your phospahte levels may actually be undetectable but many test kits can't accurately measure all forms. The usual culprits are: overfeeding, not using RODI water, and over supplementation.

Alk is 6.5-7.0, calcium is 450, mag is 1450. The tank is mainly sps and is under fed every other day. There aren't many fish in it only 3. I just put an order with unique aquaria in Woburn for a couple nudis and a whole me clean up crew for both my tanks. I'm doing constant water changes and plucking it off the rock. Will also be removing the infected rock and replacing with a new on then dipping it in hydrogen. Hopping all this works out. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.

I think using the Tech M, its not the actual level of the mag, but something in it that causes the bryopsis to die.

Good Luck Derek

Yeah, I heard it was the other thing that it contains that kill the algae.

Back