What would make you come to the meetings?

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
Hi all,

As you may or may not know I am running for the board of directors. I have an addictive personality and probably some ADD. When we have meetings I reminds me to do water changes and take care of my tank. So meetings to me are not only a social event but a husbandry reminder.

I am curious to find out what would make both members and non members show up to meetings to help increase turn out/ community and opportunities to share information.

Personally I love the raffle (cheap frags, additives etc. are always awesome)

Beer... what other excuse do you have to order a beer at 12?!

A place to meet when buying/selling frags.

Frag tank set ups.

What would cause you to drive to a meeting? Let me know if distance is an issue and what would cause you to take the drive?

Thanks!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Haverhill. You had a meeting in Salem right before I joined, I would have gone to that one. Waltham is a drive for me.

So what would make a drive worth it to you?

I guess that is the root of my question. From Haverhill to Leominster (a potential future location) is 40 minutes. To Framingham it is probably an hour. What would make that drive worth clearing your schedule?

Anything Caribbean! Lol. I would honestly be more involved if I got more alerts from the site on things, as I can’t check it often due to my work schedule and other things. If I got email notices about events, I would be more inclined to participate..

I would love to join at the next meeting! I would be willing to trek anywhere for the potential knowledge gained...I have been in the hobby for 2 years now, and I am starting to get fed up with local fish stores because I feel like I am always bugging them with questions... None of my friends are into the hobby. They respect it and think its cool, but I feel like no one cares or understands most of the time. I need a place where I can make good contacts and get straight answers.

As for incentives to go to meetings... maybe have presentation topics? Like post what the theme of the night would be.

Last edited:
I would love to join at the next meeting! I would be willing to trek anywhere for the potential knowledge gained...I have been in the hobby for 2 years now, and I am starting to get fed up with local fish stores because I feel like I am always bugging them with questions... None of my friends are into the hobby. They respect it and think its cool, but I feel like no one cares or understands most of the time. I need a place where I can make good contacts and get straight answers.

As for incentives to go to meetings... maybe have presentation topics? Like post what the theme of the night would be.
I felt the same way about the LFS and have been here for 2 months and have already made a lot of good friends and gained SO much knowledge about the hobby, the meeting especially was a great experience

a set schedule posted in advance so people could plan to come
a lot of time i cant make it cause it don't fit with my schedule
the eaarlier people know about it the better chance they can get there wife onboard about them going and cancaling any plans she had for them for that day :D

Most of the meetings are a hike for me because I live in Walpole, but I try to make it if I know a lot of people are going to be there with frag setups and fish and other things.

I think that at least 2 people selling would be good and different people each meeting I was talking to ppl at fragtastic

This is my first post here and have many questions. I'll start with few for now, Do you hold meetings in Worcester area?
What does a meeting entails?

I'm generally around on weekends and I'm willing to drive up to an hour for a meeting, maybe 1.5 as long as there is beer : )

I've only been to one meeting so far but I have a few thoughts:
- More vendors, even if you only have 10 frags to sell if there were 3-4 people with 10 frags each that would still be nice.
- I really enjoyed the clownfish presentation! As someone who is just getting into reefing I would love to continue seeing presentations like that.
- A more structured Q&A session. Maybe get a few volunteers of people who have a lot of knowledge and have them stand/sit in the front so we can lob questions at them.
- More structure overall. There was a schedule posted for the last meeting but I don't think we really followed it, lol. If we came up with a more detailed schedule it might entice more people to come and/or figure out what parts of the meeting they could attend. I think it would be useful in the main post for the meetings to update the schedule there and maybe link it to relevant posts. Like have a section for who will be vending with a brief description of what they will be bringing and then a link to their post (if they have one).

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back