whats more effective Wet skimming or dry skimming?

jofost1216

Non-member
Hey so i just received a Coralife HOB protein skimmer. It was very easy to setup and seems to be doing its job after only about 12 hours. There is a brownish liquid beginning to build up in the bottom of the collection cup. I was just wondering if anyone with any experience in skimming could tell me what would be more effective, Wet or Dry skimming. I have it set to Dry right now but can change that with a turn of a knob.

P.S. as far as the skimmer goes it is a Coralife Super Skimmer rated for a 65g tank, i have a 56gal. Set up was easy, mounting was easy, and i was very surprised at how quiet it is. My filter is louder than it so i dont even hear the skimmer in the slightest which i am very pleased about. And within minutes it was working.

Thanks in advance for any help.

in general, dry skimming is considered more desireable. there is a bunch that subscribe to wet skimming and using it as a Waterchange (kinda)

If you Google your question you will find tons of discussions on the issue. My conclusion, after reading for a week, is that no one really knows, and people are divided 50-50 on the issue.
I prefer dry, because I don't like to clean the cup every single day, and I don't want it to take too much water out.

Back