whats wrong?

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
If I have one of my hand in the sump and the other hand touch the metal heater vent on my wall, I can feel this feeling like when you're getting shock but in a lesser strength. And when I unplug all the equipments in the sump, its fine. So something must be wrong with my grounding(?) in the sump.
What do I need to fix this. My main tank is fine.

this is me said:
If I have one of my hand in the sump and the other hand touch the metal heater vent on my wall, I can feel this feeling like when you're getting shock but in a lesser strength. And when I unplug all the equipments in the sump, its fine. So something must be wrong with my grounding(?) in the sump.
What do I need to fix this. My main tank is fine.

I've gotten the same thing before. I have a grounding probe in my sump also....

MarkO said:
Something is leaking current. My guess is a pump. Try isolation to find it.

Hey you want to come over to do this experiment? :D
Just joking!
But I know who to call though, Peter! he like the feeling of getting shock.

So a grounding probe would help? which brand are reliable?

A grounding probe might work but that doesn?t fix the problem. Find the problem by unplugging one thing at a time.

I agree, If everything unplugged solves the problem, then plug each thing in one by one and see what's causing the current in the tank.

As for feeling current in a grounded tank............

I used to get a that slight shock sometimes from my 75 which had a grounding probe. Eventually I figured out that I was walking on a fuzzy and sometimes damp carpet barefoot, I think my feet were making static electricity on the rug and I was grounding myself out by putting my hand in the grounded tank. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it (unless someone has a better one, like maybe I just made a better grounding probe than the titanium one.)

You still have the problem or you corrected it?
it's nothing serious at least I dont think it is but I would like to fix it before something's wrong. I dont know how long it has been but this morning when I did the water change, I kneel down to siphon the sump and my kneww touched the heating vent and I felt something funny. I thought it was just me but I tried it a couple times and it certainly was a type of shock.

jimmyj7090...... I used to get a that slight shock sometimes from my 75 which had a grounding probe. Eventually I figured out that I was walking on a fuzzy and sometimes damp carpet barefoot said:
Maybe thats the reason why, My foot was wet and my room is carpet but I dont have a grounding probe.
I guess I'll have to do the experiment. I hate this...

I would find out what it is. It won't get better with time and just may get very bad. I hope all equipment is connected to a ground fault receptacle.

is there an easy way to do this experiment without using myself as a testing equipment?
I dont like getting shock....I'm a wuss......so what.....:D

this is me said:
You still have the problem or you corrected it?
it's nothing serious at least I dont think it is but I would like to fix it before something's wrong. I dont know how long it has been but this morning when I did the water change, I kneel down to siphon the sump and my kneww touched the heating vent and I felt something funny. I thought it was just me but I tried it a couple times and it certainly was a type of shock.

Oh man, you can barely feel it, and you're afraid to do it again?
OK, I'll be right over :D
No, seriously, unplug everything and use a volt meter. Or, if you can barely feel it, try testing one at a time (starting with nothing plugged in) until you find it. My guess is it's a pump.

Yea, volt meter

I don't know for sure about the rug thing? Electricity should run down not up so I could be wrong. I guess people could be better grounds than dirty titaniun ground probes?

Any informed opinions on this one out there? Nate? Matt? Greg? anyone who is an electrician or something?????

I have this Tunze meter-thing from Dawn. It basically will tell you if there is any current leaking into the tank, w/o you having to function as a live voltimeter.
I am located in Worcester, or I can give it to you for the next meeting.

And I also have a voltimeter, 20 bucks at Radio Shack and you get a digital one. You are welcome to borrow it also if you want.

Look around at the recent threads about people who have had electrical related tank crashes and get it fixed NOW. Something is broken if current is leaking out. Broken could mean copper in contact with your water, melting plastic releasing grossness, exposed wires...

Do you have GFIs on all of the outlets you are useing? Ground-Fault-Interupts should be tripping because this is what a ground fault is. If you don't have them it could be a better way to test. Turn everything off and plug them into the gfi one at a time untill something trips it.

Last edited:
Definitely fix this now Mihn. You can test it by putting one probe of a voltmeter in the sump, and attach the other end to your heater vent, or the ground-prong in an outlet, or any nearby metal house plumbing. Then plug each item into the wall, one at a time, and unplug it, then do the next one. One (or more) items, when plugged in will probably cause the voltmeter to read a voltage potential. Discard those appliances.

I'm no electrician, but I think the carpet static is a dangerous rationalization. If you're getting a constant tingle from your tank, it's definitely not static discharge. Walk across the room on the carpet and touch a door knob. That's instantaneous spark is static discharge, but if you hold your hand on the knob do you get a continuous tingling feel? No. Because static charge isn't a flowing stream of electricity, it's just an instantaneous equalization between two things that have an imbalance of electrons. You pick up electrons from the wool as you shuffle across the rug, so you're more electron-rich than the doorknob, and touching it causes you to quickly donate some electrons to the metal knob.

When there's a constant supply of extra electrons flowing into your tank, you don't get an instantaneous zap, but rather a continuous buzzing feeling for as long as you keep your hand in the water and your feet on the ground. While the light tingling isn't necessarily dangerous, it's a sure sign that an underwater electrical appliance is broken, and it's a good bet that it could get worse and become very dangerous to you, or even electrocute you right now if you were to touch it directly (ie, move a faulty powerhead in the tank). So I wouldn't ignore these issues or try to explain them away. Figure them out and fix them.

One more anecdote to add to everyone's above - these problems aren't isolated to the electrical appliances inside your tank. I touched a large fan that hangs about a foot over my sump the other day, and I got that same tingling feeling from the PLASTIC housing that surrounds the fan! The fan had collected enough wet salt spray on it's housing, that current could be carried across the entirely plastic enclosure of the fan to ground through my body. I replaced it with another fan, but I'm not sure how I'll prevent this problem from recuring in the future. Any ideas?

As for the GFI, I suspect that these very low current leaks are not sufficient to trip the GFI outlets. All my fish stuff is on GFI, and I didn't trip it when I got a little buzz from the fan. I didn't measure the current of the leak, but the voltage must be very low after fighting it's way across the surface of the salty fan. There's lots of resistance there, and that translates into voltage drop. The final voltage in turn determines how much current is able to go through my body (based on my body's resistance). That's a furnituremaker's recollection of Physics I, anyways, so feel free to correct my mistakes. :)

Nate

Anything electrical that is not designed to be around saltwater shouldn't be in a salt spray area. Since it is for your sump just get a stronger fan and have it blow from much further away. Thats another reason why basement sumps are great, you can move things away from the spray.

Also, they do make fans that are for marine or outdoor use, don't they?

Back