whats wrong?

Thanks for the input nate,

Do you have any comment on the grounded tank producing a slight shock? Is a human a better ground than the ti probe? Is stray voltage grounding through both the probe and the person at the same time?

Stop with the formulas! :D I just finished my Circuit I & II class last year and I dont want to see it again.At least for now....I'm majoring in electrical engineering.
Well, I tested with the voltmeter and it doesnt show anything. Then I took my hand in the tank and touch the vent and didnt feel the shock. Weird......
It was quite a mess when I changed the water yesterday. the floor was partly wet, my feet was wet. I got salt water spraying at he outlet and eveything esle when I slit the siphon tube out of the bucket. It was quite a mess.
Thanks for everyone's input. I will check to see if this happens agian on my next water change.

Jimmy, I'd expect if the probe is working correctly it would be a much better conductor than a BRS member. But maybe the probe is corroded or calcified, or maybe the outlet it's plugged into isn't grounded! :eek: Not sure. I'm really no expert though.

Yea, I'm kind of confused.

My shock experience was with a set up I don't have anymore. The outlets were grounded.

I never feel it with either of my current systems. When I started thinking static electircity, I also thought of a dirty ground probe so I cleaned it for 24 plus hours in vinegar so it looked brand new. Made no difference. Maybe some sort of steady current in the rug or concrete floor??

Whatever the case I am pretty sure that I only felt the shock when the carpet was damp from sloppy top off's and water changes. I'm not walking on a wet carpet anymore and I don't get shocked anymore.

Anyone more electricially educated than I, know if something can ground through two things at once, or if the electricity will just find the easiest path?

I guess whatever the explanation, standing on a wet carpet with your hand in a bunch of salt water with many electrical dodads submerged is asking for trouble anyway (at least slightly stupid). Maybe it would be a good tip for reefers to wear thick rubber soled shoes when messing with their tanks. Someone could even market special "reefing shoes" :)

Maybe the wet carpet has nothing to do with it?

Just thinking out loud.

Was there anything electrical sitting on the carpet? anything touching the ground could have been shorting on the wet rug.

IME I was also thinking of that so I looked. Couldn't find anything, but the idea makes sense to me?????????

electric shock

ya got to love getting shocked its fun that feeling discharging through your body its great :D :eek:
but all magnetic pumps create a static discharge that gets released into the water it is the normal cause of electic shocks when you put your hand in the water you will feel it most when you have a cut on your hands power compact light fixtures that are not grounded properly will also do the same thing but with those sometimes a bigger shock is felt if your heater is broken it can cause this also but that would normally fry the fish grounding probes do work if the shock is comming from a magnetic pump but also check pumps to see if housing is cracked on inside happens with rio pumps a lot this can cause a good shock also the gfi will help if something is broken and discharging electricity into the water the gfi will trip but wont help with stray voltage from magnetic induction only grounding probe will help with that check for salt creep on the power cabels and power strips

Someone else said it, get your circuit on a gfci. with all the pumps we run and electricity going into the tank a 20.00 gfci is the best investment that could probably save your life. jmho

Back