When was your first tank, FW or SW

jamesdong009

Anthony
Mine was when I was in walking to the playground by myself (anyone remember those days ;)).

I dumped shampoo into my dad's tank to clean it and it definitely worked :rolleyes:. After that, he got me my own tank and I was around 4yo at the time. I started breeding bettas by 8yo and have never looked back :).

in 2013 jumped right into saltwater with both feet for my first tank ever. fishbowl and goldfish does not count. Thankfully with lots or research and some great direction form some great members I have been very successful. Started with a used 55g then built a 40 breeder which was running at the same time and now 8 years later I have my 3yo 120G.

Had a tank for as long as I can remember. It was my dad's FW tank but I did a lot of the work when I was probably super young. Then I got my own and then got a few more and then tried SW when I was in Jr HS (if not earlier). Nice undergravel filter, crushed coral and no clue about anything lol...

10th birthday, fresh water 10 gallon at the foot of my bed, I still remember it. I turned 40 last year and have always had a tank, even in college I had a 29 with a big Red Devil always fresh water until 10 years ago with my first reef tank, I miss my cichlids a little but love my reef.

Hold on... life story coming, get the popcorn... I was around 6. My dad kept cichlids in a 55, and kept his original tank, which we still have, a Metaframe stainless frame plexiglas 10 with black slate stone bottom glazed in. Both tanks still running in my parents house. He got tired of the aggression when his two oscars died and he went community, and let me try my hand at it with the 10. Eventually I took care of both, collected local sealife and tried to keep it in the 10, mostly short term. I had a minnow trap in Boston Harbor, took water for water changes from the harbor too, or Revere Beach. Caught sticklebacks and grubby sculpins in the harbor little flounder, and I kept a tiny lobster for a time too. That was awesome. Bulldozer! I read the Innes book front to back many times as a kid! A guy named Ben ran a small aquarium shop at Northgate in Revere and I remember his first saltwater section. Blue Devils and Lionfish. This was our local shop, but my dad was an HVAC repair technician and drove all over. His company had Tropic Isle in Framingham as a customer. The first time he worked there he came home and related the description in awe with detail. He would occasionally come home with new fish if he spotted stores in his travels. I remember my first trip to Tropic Isle, in about 1989 or so. I am almost 43, so I have been in for over 37 years now! My dad is responsible, as well as my parents choice to live on the harbor for my first 14 years. I volunteered at New England aquarium and got into the Husbandry Dept. (Aquarists) as soon as I could. I spent 5 years there and got to care for all tanks other than birds/mammals and the Giant Ocean Tank. Then I would take buckets of water home in the trunk of my car at the end of the day for my first serious reefs in High School. I can’t get away from the ocean and probably never will. I am a Marine Biologist and my coworkers think I am nuts- love it more than most I guess... so much to know, so much more to learn. I have 5 tanks in my house now and a reef in my cube at work. 180 Reef, 40 local marine, 29, 55, 10 and 5 fresh.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and I remember the days... when your dad came home with a huge styrofoam shipping container he thought you would build a fort out of and instead you thought... boat... and used it to paddle in the cove behind your house to set and haul your minnow traps... all while they were not concerned of neighbors calling the cops on them for child neglect. Good days they were!

I wanted to get a puppy but my dad had a saltwater tank in the past and he told me to get a reef tank instead. Unfortunately for him it ended up costing way more than a dog... but thank god cause I love this hobby, I started out with a 16g Biocube and now my family has a 72g tank that has a variety of softies in it. And, we ended up getting a puppy! It all worked out... :p

I got my first FW when I was 4-5 and just kept FW on n off , even got into the planted tanks and breeding cichlids. Then I came across someone posting in the New England aquarium society about a BRS meeting and I looked into it and went to a meeting. That started the new addiction lol

in 2013 jumped right into saltwater with both feet for my first tank ever. fishbowl and goldfish does not count. Thankfully with lots or research and some great direction form some great members I have been very successful. Started with a used 55g then built a 40 breeder which was running at the same time and now 8 years later I have my 3yo 120G.
That's just crazy. I couldn't imagine doing this without the progression. Your tank has shown the success though.

Back