Where can i buy cheap 48" long reflectors?

SMS76

Non-member
Any recomendation on local places or good websites? I have 36" long T5's and my hood is 48" long.

reefgeek has the icecap reflectors - not sure how competitive their prices are, but they do a damn good job of packaging and making sure the customer is happy.

After reading the T5 vs PC thread, it is strongly recomended to run an individual reflector for each bulb to maximize light from these bulbs. You may want to keep looking for reflectors more suited for these bulbs.

What he said. Individual reflectors make or break the T5 bulbs from what I've read about them. The small diameter is the big thing about T5s, it allows reflectors to reflect more of the bulbs light back down towards the water. I run them on my tank and took the reflectors off to see what it looks like and there is a huge difference - granted the inside of my hood isn't polished aluminum. But when I take the reflectors off to clean them, they light up the ceiling from just the overhead light in the room.

Thanks guys for replies. i will check them out.

Nuno, i have 36" bulbs actually so i am all set. Thanks for your offer.

Shoeib said:
Nuno, i have 36" bulbs actually so i am all set.

How are you going to use 36" bulbs with 48" reflectors, namely how will you attach the endcaps? I don't see a way of that working, that why I mentioned the 48" bulbs (they're actually approx 46", I believe).

Nuno

nunofs said:
How are you going to use 36" bulbs with 48" reflectors, namely how will you attach the endcaps? I don't see a way of that working, that why I mentioned the 48" bulbs (they're actually approx 46", I believe).

Nuno

When i was looking into these bulbs, Link as they were 48" long it wouldn't fit in my canopy and that's why i had to go with 36" long.
These are not high output T5's but it does the job for my low light reef (leathers, mushrooms, zoas, star polyps etc..). Right now i just painted hood with white paint and i am looking for reflector to add more efficiency. Still not sure what kind to get. I know parabolic will give me most output but i might no have space to put five individual ones in my canopy.
I might go mylar or flat polished aluminium reflector way. The way it is, most of the corals i have are doing good and adding relfector will definately help.

Ah, I see... well, the parabolic reflectors wouldn't fit those lights anyway because they're not just the regular bulbs with endcaps... so if you really want a reflector, I'd say go with a flat reflector that covers the whole top of the canopy... though I've read somewhere that there's actually not much difference between such a flat reflector and just having the canopy painted white (can't find the link now).

Nuno

Shoeib, your better off with 3 bulbs with the SLS reflector than 5 bulbs with the flat reflector....you will still get more light. If you overdrive those 3 bulb...your way ahead with less bulbs and heat (not wattage tho)

Back