why do rbta's split?

this leads to a much bigger question - this thought has never occured to me before now..weird. We know fish pass on, sadly I experienced a bit of that when I first started. Since corals and whatnot are still new to me...do corals and anemone's have a lifespan, and do they actually die?

Anyway.. back to my original questioning... if it's asexual reproduction (which is great to know, thank you)... do they just continue to do this over their life span?

I just got this one from another member and can't believe it's splitting already. Though my water is right on target, I wanted to make sure it wasn't indicative of anything negative. I've seen a lot of sales due to splitting so I knew it couldn't be detrimental but I thought I'd actually ask people who knew, instead of just wonder :)

Ah I re-read what I wrote, it sounds crazy.... I know all living things die, but wondering if maybe their lifespan's are extremely long and can outlive people...

Essentially no. A coral does not have a lifespan because it is a colony and the rest may live on if an individual polyp dies. However, disease can still spread and wipe out colonies or they can bleach or starve. In a perfect environment a coral will just continue to grow forever.

BTAs splitting is a little different. Sometimes they split if they are in a stressful situation to ensure that if one dies the other may have a chance of living on. They also can split in great conditions just for reproduction. It really shouldn't be your main indicator of water quality but it isn't usually a bad thing.

BTAs splitting is a little different. Sometimes they split if they are in a stressful situation to ensure that if one dies the other may have a chance of living on. They also can split in great conditions just for reproduction. It really shouldn't be your main indicator of water quality but it isn't usually a bad thing.

Def couldn't have put it any better. It usually is just an asexual reproduction but it can also be due to drastic changes. In the past when I've put in new bulbs the BTA's split shortly after prob due to the shock of a new light (I now gradually bring up the lighting schedule when I put new bulbs on)

Agreed with the above posts. Water quality is a big part, but lighting is just as important for a BTA. IME, they'll split if they are stressed by a lack of adequate lighting.

You say you just got it- it probably split due to the stress of being put in a bag or bucket, driven across town in water gradually getting colder, put into a new system with slightly different water, lighting, etc. Mine split (in three!) within a few days of my getting it. As long as they look happy and healthy now, I wouldn't worry about it. Look at it this way- you got two for the price of one, and you can sell one off and get back your $$$. :D

It eathier because its happy and healthy or because its angry and thinks its going to die.

Back