Young and experienced aquarist, new to reefing and these forums

Edward

IG: @ed3aquatics
BRS Member
Hello everyone, just wanted to drop an introduction post for myself. My name is Eddie, I've been keeping all sorts of freshwater fish since I was 5 years old. Most parents get their kids a goldfish bowl to teach them responsibility, my father bought me a 55gallon tank with all the equipment and a gift card to the old PJ's Pets on Rt. 1 in Saugus and told me that he'd help me set it up and clean it whenever I asked him to but everything else would be my responsibility. This "lesson" turned into an obsession that has taken me from community tanks to African and South American Cichlids and planted aquariums. I have kept dozens of tanks since a young age, I guess being 19 is still considered young, but due to family issues I had to sell all of my freshwater fish and after a year of being upset about the dismantling of a 13 year hobby I decided to start up again with a nano reef, I had just been starting to explore saltwater in a nano reef that had started to take off prior to everything happening.

I now am left with a 10gallon tank, a 28W coralife 20" fixture (will need to be replaced once my tank has cycled), a little power head and a heater. I have 20lbs of live sand at my disposal and dried up (dead) live rock from the old tank (was roughly 12lbs at the time, i may have lost a piece or two during all the moving). My plan was to cycle the tank with the live sand and the rock I have and maybe purchase two or three small pieces of live rock to get things cycled. I am also planning on buying a 4x24W T5 HO of some brand once I find one I can afford or save up enough for one new. I figure that that will give me some room to work with in terms of corals and should curb my obsession until I have a place of my own after I finish schooling and can unload all my stored tanks.

I hope to see you all around and learn all I can here as this saltwater game is new to me.

Eddie

PS. I am residing in Winchester at the moment and have been my entire life.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club, I live in Medford but i'm Winchester all the time shoot me a PM if you ever need any help

A guy on my street had a 20H with a for sale sign on it, brand new mind you because it had all of its stickers still on it, and wanted 15 bucks for it. I guess I'll be making a slightly larger tank =)

cool man. Good deals are always out there, you just need to be patient (something I am NOT good at, but I get lucky).

Post up any questions you have. There is a ton of support here. I had my first 75g reef when I was 14-18, took it down to go to school, now im 27 and bought my first house and put in a 90g reef!

good luck and welcome

Back