Zoo Eating Nudi

TomD

Non-member
My Paly colony was closed in the front and as I was looking I saw this nudi clear as day:eek: You can clearly see the bite marks in on the polyp to its right.

Looks like I will pick up some Lugols tomorrow. All I have now is betadine.

Who has killed these pests?

Only zoo I added in a long time was a super red a couple months ago from an online vendor. Must have been eggs because I dip everything.

Attachments

• Zooeatingnudi.jpg
    Zooeatingnudi.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 203
I have also heard f/w followed by scraping can kill them. Anybody deal with this before?

My Paly colony was closed in the front and as I was looking I saw this nudi clear as day:eek: You can clearly see the bite marks in on the polyp to its right.

Looks like I will pick up some Lugols tomorrow. All I have now is betadine.

Who has killed these pests?

Only zoo I added in a long time was a super red a couple months ago from an online vendor. Must have been eggs because I dip everything.

If I'm looking at the right thing it looks like a spider or crab. Not a nudibranch

If I'm looking at the right thing it looks like a spider or crab. Not a nudibranch

I know it looks like that Brian but it is a nudi...bad pic! I could not get a good pic when it was extended with those 2 tentacles and nudi body I hoped I would never see...

Never dealt with these?

Stop adding any zoas before you clean them out. It will be a good idea to separate the zoas from the rest of the coral to starve the pests to death.

IIRC, one member here actually added these pest to his tank to take out zoas in his SPS tank. May be you can call him up to see if he still want some more.

I really don't add corals much any more dong. That is why I know they had to come from the reds which were the first in a long time.

Dong, don't these only prey on zoos?

I was going to wait and buy the lugols iodine tomorrow, I was just wondering what else has worked for people.

Good thing, I have not traded any zoos in the club for a while either.

If it is a nudi, it may only prey on Zoas, if it is a sea spider, I am not very sure.

Here is a dip:

freshwater dip with about 5 drops of lugals iodine in a gallon of water for about 5 min.

Repeat the treatment after 1 week.

you can use Seachem reefdip.

But you can't kill the eggs by dipping.

I am going to do a dip with betadine and scrape the polyps tonight, and then repeat tomorrow with Lugols. It is 100% a nudi.

Nudi

Here is a pic of one I pulled off during the dip.

Attachments

• Nudi1.JPG
    Nudi1.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 164
This nudi in the pic was the only decent size one I found. I find 2 other tiny ones as well on the same colony.

I left all the zoos in a strong idoine solution for about 1/2 hour, shaked them etc.

I found one of my small colonies with what looked like nudi eggs so I just ditched it.

We will see...

so much for it being easier to keep softies and zoas because they have fewer pests.....

so much for it being easier to keep softies and zoas because they have fewer pests.....

I look at it as my own fault Jay. We all know a lot of zoos come in with nudis/spiders/snails etc. I probably did not check for eggs good enough with one of them.

Back