What’s the DKH in your effluent?

Title says it.. what’s everyone running? Trying to dial my calcium reactor in..
I use geos cr612 with secondary chamber and carbondoser for regulator. And I use a versa pump to run 100ml per minute with reborn media and start with 7.5ph. So if my alk drop the next day I lower my ph down to 7.4 until I get my alkalinity steady. I use this method because I hate to run mine with low ph and regulator keep on turning on and off with 6.5ph and it also lower my tank ph.

I use geos cr612 with secondary chamber and carbondoser for regulator. And I use a versa pump to run 100ml per minute with reborn media and start with 7.5ph. So if my alk drop the next day I lower my ph down to 7.4 until I get my alkalinity steady. I use this method because I hate to run mine with low ph and regulator keep on turning on and off with 6.5ph and it also lower my tank ph.
What dkh is your effluent?

Everyone tank is different so if one use of effluent 30dkh and 100ml/min doesn't mean your tank will consume the same dkh rate and effluent.

Like stated above the effluent rate is another big factor. I like to run a higher dkh effluent but slower flow through it personally. So my numbers are 30dkh effluent @ ph 6.3-6.4 with reborn, with a 20ml/min effluent rate. My theory behind the slower flow is to put less low ph effluent in the tank + less abuse on the kamoer peristaltic pump tube which allows me to not even worry about changing it every 6+ months.

Everyone tank is different so if one use of effluent 30dkh and 100ml/min doesn't mean your tank will consume the same dkh rate and effluent.
Yes but it’s nice to know what my effluent should be. I can adjust the amount dosed with my Kamoer

Like stated above the effluent rate is another big factor. I like to run a higher dkh effluent but slower flow through it personally. So my numbers are 30dkh effluent @ ph 6.3-6.4 with reborn, with a 20ml/min effluent rate. My theory behind the slower flow is to put less low ph effluent in the tank + less abuse on the kamoer peristaltic pump tube which allows me to not even worry about changing it every 6+ months.
Good thinking. I have the Kamoer as well. Thanks for the info!

I was just curious as mine was just over 14 and I thought that was a little low.
It is a direct consequence of pH in the reaction chamber, flow rate through the reactor and the type of media you are using. Changing any one of those will effect the alkalinity level in the water coming out of the reator so asking what only one number is, doesnt allow you to know how much that person is dosing to their tank.

It is a direct consequence of pH in the reaction chamber, flow rate through the reactor and the type of media you are using. Changing any one of those will effect the alkalinity level in the water coming out of the reator so asking what only one number is, doesnt allow you to know how much that person is dosing to their tank.
I was under the assumption that setting the effluent to roughly 30 dkh and then adjusting the amount dosed to the tank is the way to go no? Whether it’s 5 ml’s a minute or 100ml’s..

I question any test kit that would measure that high of range.
Typical reef dkh is 6-12dkh. Do you really think your test kit would be accurate in the 30s dkh or even 20dkh?
I don’t even trust the PH measured inside the chamber since my probes are calibrated with 7 and 10 cal fluid.
Chasing numbers in a CaRX is stupid. Dial down the co2. Test the tank parameter. Dial it up slowly until the parameter is desired and stable. Check it periodically. Nothing is really set and forget.

I was under the assumption that setting the effluent to roughly 30 dkh and then adjusting the amount dosed to the tank is the way to go no? Whether it’s 5 ml’s a minute or 100ml’s..
The problem is every time you change the flow rate or the pH, the output DKH will change. This isnt a number to chace and set and it will not stay the same if you change anything else like flow rate or pH. Just set your pH in the reactor and set a flow rate. If you tank isnbt keeping up, raise flow rate. If flow rate gets too high, lower pH in chamber and start again.

The problem is every time you change the flow rate or the pH, the output DKH will change. This isnt a number to chace and set and it will not stay the same if you change anything else like flow rate or pH. Just set your pH in the reactor and set a flow rate. If you tank isnbt keeping up, raise flow rate. If flow rate gets too high, lower pH in chamber and start again.
That's what I've been doing so far. My alk yesterday morning was at 8.6 and this morning it was the same. Hopefully it's dialed in. Thanks Mike!

Back