10 gal NANO build thread

Do you plan to eventually replace the coral skeleton with some live rock? I think that would make it look a bit more natural.

i would get rid of the egg crate. look at the before and after pictures of it and you are losing a massive amount of light. what kind of fish are you going to keep? you might not need a cover. the powerhead looks good. do you need a small piece of live rock to seed it?

Eggcrate normally won't cut that much light; however I would use some mesh instead if you want a cover. You also can't compare the before and after pics for tank brightness and the background lighting is totally different in both pics.

again messed with the exposure... idk how much ppl here know about cameras but the lens opens and closes to expose to more light when you turn it down it closes so the sun was coming in across the room (late afternoon) and i turned it down bc you couldnt see inside the tank. now to mikes question. yes i do plan on it thats just to get me started for now i needed somthing to emprovise for my live rock im working on getting it for little to nothing so i got to deal with what i can get...

thanks jay any ideas about the power head though its clicking and turning off on its own and then coming back on in about 5 mins after turning off (the 1 you gave me) i cant figure out wats wrong with it????!!!! i did swap it out with the maxi jet to keep the flow in the tank but i need a powerhead on the other side of the tank so that the sand wont turn up in one corner where it all collects the rock slows the flow so much that it just creates a cyclone like pocket where the sand just gets pushed into a dune and i see bare glass if anyone has a powerhead with a clip for the other side.... hit me up

well i have another update for you guys.... seems that i have some brown algea growing on my skeleton... i got pics and its starting on the sand as well... i also have a bare spot that i took a pic of and will post when i get the chance i need some advise on how to fix will check back after work to see if theres any posts...

Later!!!

well i used water from another tank (established and stable) and im thinking that it could be just the rock becoming populated?

you may still have a small cycle even if you use the water from an established system. when you added the ls or lr it could of had some small die off that might lead to a cycle. tanks off to a good start.

well my aunt whos an expert reefer told me i am having a diatom outbreak.... the thing i thought i was going to skip just smacked me right in the mouth... the whole right side of the coral skeleton was white this mornin and when i got back from marks house it was light tan. i went to CRA and when i got back it was totally brown. im getting hit hard... im hunkering down and hopin for the best

Looking good, cool nano.

No worries, the diatoms will go away before ya know it.

Nice sig line.

yep and now the live rock i bought yesterday is starting to get white spots on it... my salinity is kind of high and its slightly early to get water from my aunt to top off my tank... i need an RO/DI unit... oh and thanks jen and jason :D

the rock was out about an hour it was in a bag with a dripping wet paper towel on it.. im not sure what my calcium is at i dont have a test kit for it yet...

the white is most likely the coraline dieing off not that big of a deal it should grow back in time. if all the purple bleaches out then some thing is definitely wrong

Back