ABC reagent

wdebenedettojr

BRS Member
Looking for peoples opinions on the abc reagents. As people know the reagent for the trident is expensive, the abc reagent looks much more cost effective. Looking for first hand experience if anyone is running them in their trident.

I have had no issues. Started with a 6 month supply and then I got the concentrate kit. The consistency is far better than neptunes imo

Can also decrease measurement frequency if your not already to save on reagent. I do alk twice daily and Ca and Mg once a day.

Just started my first bottle of ABC. If you look hard online, you can find how to make reagent A from scratch and also how to completely customize the testing schedule. I now do 1/day CA and Mg and 12 times a day alk to catch the swings. Reagent A is now virtually free if you brew it yourself.

So I bought a 2 month supply to try the abc reagent and it’s been almost a month now. I agree with Chris, I feel like consistency is definitely superior to the Neptune fluid. I will definitely by using abc reagent now vs the Neptune brand. Much cheaper over time

I just started using it no complaints and I can buy a years worth for less then 1-6 month refill of neptune reagent

Been using it now for 3 months. I'm very impressed, no difference from branded reagent. You just have to create your own calibration solution which is easy enough.

Yes that’s what I mean by making your own “calibration solution”
Does it hold calibration with your tank water Domenic? I tried all the calibration and for some reason it's still off by 0.5dkh with my Hanna. Might have to send icp test to see which one is more accurate Hanna or trident.

I’ve just started using it recently and have noticed far superior consistency with the calcium and magnesium readings, like stated above.

Before using it I could only trust my alkalinity on the trident, but all 3 are staying a lot more consistent now which is making me feel better on relying a little more on the other two for accuracy.

Yes, I concur! It seems to be more consistent than the genuine neptune stuff, even down to the very end of the reagent. I'm not sure how or why that is possible, but it is what I am seeing also.

The Neptune calibration fluid ALK always tested 0.6 lower than what my hanna showed.

Looking to see if anyone has been doing what abc reagents recommended a few months back by calibrating to tank water vs calibration solution. Going forward abc isn’t proving calibrating fluid bc they seem to find it throws off the unit. Any thoughts on this. Just changed my reagent out this morning and usually let it run 2-3 days before trying to calibrate

I have been using my tank water to calibrate using abc reagents and haven’t had any issues. Been using Hana for alk, and redsea for calcium and magnesium tests and then enter those numbers into the calibration task. I usually check monthly to make sure nothing is out of spec. One thing I have noticed with the trident is if the reagents get below a quarter of the way full in the bottle the reading are not as accurate.

I have been using my tank water to calibrate using abc reagents and haven’t had any issues. Been using Hana for alk, and redsea for calcium and magnesium tests and then enter those numbers into the calibration task. I usually check monthly to make sure nothing is out of spec. One thing I have noticed with the trident is if the reagents get below a quarter of the way full in the bottle the reading are not as accurate.
Agree 100%. I don’t let anything get under 15% bc they definitely drift. This seems not to matter whether you’re using apex or abc’s reagent; seems to be a hardware thing

Back