Alternative to Mag 9.5?

Paula

I'm still around . ..
I have replaced my Mag 9.5 at least three times in the last 2 years. They stop and never start again. I have kept them clean and they only have to push water up a few feet. I am fed up with them.

Any suggestions? My system needs a submersible pump of about 900 gals per hour. I know that Eheim makes a great pump but I have only used them externally.
Has anyone used an OceanRunner pump as a return? Or a Sen 900GA?
I don't have the space right now to re-plumb as an external . .

Thanks for any suggestions.
Paula

Paula,

I've been having good sucess thus far using the largest powerhead available from Hagen (going on a year in two different tanks now I think, though I know that's not all that long). I know it sounds silly to use a powerhead, but they are working well. I've tried many of the pumps you mentioned and they had the same problem as my pile of dead Mag pumps in my closet. The reason I tried the powerhead is I have a small army of the Hagen 802's running for many years without a single failure. They are not strong enough for a submerisble recirc. pump, but the next size up seem to be.

I had a Sen 900 running for over a year with no problems and it was a couple of years old when I got it. I think Daire is using it now.

I'm using the ocean runner for my return ever since I started reefing(about 2 years ago) and it has never failed me once yet.
It's a little big but its quiet and very energy effiecient compare to a mag.

Paula said:
I know that Eheim makes a great pump but I have only used them externally.
Paula

Hi Paula,
Did you not have good luck with the Eheim? IMO a great choice for a mag replacement, they run cool, queit, reliable with a proven track record.

The problem with the Ehiems (and I have several of them, great reliable pumps, I use them on all my calcium reactors) is that they just don't deliver a lot of water and are really quite expensive, IMO.

I love my quiet one model 6000 1506gph max head 12.2ft on my 120g aga and i also have a 3000 they both have been running for 3 years cleaned once thats it not one problem,you might want a model 4000 1017gph max head 10ft and uses 50 watts at $58.99 there the cheepest but they also coast about 1/2 the money as the eheim 1262 at $129.99 which has 898gph max head 11.8 but uses more power at 80 watts than the quiet one 4000

Is Quiet one a submersible pump? Yes, I just looked...sorry for wasting bandwidth. :eek:

Hi Everyone - Thanks so much for the information and recommendations. Since I have two pumps feeding 3 3/4" returns, I have decided to try one Hagen 901 and one Sen 900. I have had problems in the past with "quiet ones" which have left me with bad feelings about them. I love my Eheim but I was a little concerned about using them submersed - and they are pretty expensive. So, as soon as I get them hooked up I will let you know how I like them.
But, no more mags for me. ;)
Paula

i am using the new rios hyper flow, so far they work great low heat and low wattage plus put out a lot of water flow. i also have a sedra and same thing. jmho

Sen/Sedra is the same pump. They are great and long lasting, the only problem is sometimes their impellers crack, swell... and if you aren't paying attention, seize badly. If you use Sen/Sedra, it's important to clean the pump often and pay attention to the impeller.

hi paula

hi
thats weird I have never had a mag drive fail on me I have been using 2 mag 7s for about 4 years off and on inline and submerged and have never had one fail except for me feeding rocks into them by accident and chewing up impellers and I have had a mag 9 running in line for 1 and a half years on a freshwater tank with no problem you can get large hagen pumps cheap at bld 19 they have them all the time for about 20-50 $ all differnt sizes sometimes
Take care
Steve

Back