Am I the only one who uses an Undergravel Filter?

Paul B

paul b
BRS Member
Does that mean I am bad?

Why doesn't anyone use one except me? I feel so lonely. I can't even post pictures of it because it is under the gravel. I am like an outcast. :concern:

ha ha , when I set up my first tank it had one . then I tore it out lol. theres got to be something to be said about the extra airation from the bubble towers , by the way don't they act like little skimmers ?

No bubbles, I run mine in reverse with a pump. Originally I did use it that way with the bubbles, that was a disaster. And a mess. :cool:

Hi Paul,

I've read a lot of your posts on R2R but I haven't been active for a while just had my tank on cruise control for about a year. What benefit do you think you get from the reverse undergravel filter?

I am not sure but it has been running for about 43 years with no problems. I guess that's a benefit. :cool:

I also think since there is moving water all the way through there are thousands of amphipods and copepods as well as tiny tube worms which all contributes to the health of the system while providing food for the higher organisms.
Besides that, I got nothing. :confused:

reverse huh Hmmmmm never havin to clean or worry about the sand . since I assume you are pumping water under the sand which comes out from bottom up . makes sense , most effective way to have live sand be a real sand filter .

When this hobby started under gravel filters were the only thing around. We used them like we did in fresh water but that was a disaster and after less then a year they clogged and killed everything. Most people threw them out. That's why you don't see them today.
I reversed the water flow and ran it very slow. I first filtered the water through a sponge then sent it under the gravel.
About once a year I stir it up where I can reach and suck out the detritus with a diatom filter.
So far, no problems and the tank has never crashed. It's been running like that since about 1974 with no problems. Of course you can't see it. The gravel is dolomite.

Dude, get with the 90s. Its all wet dry filters! I have the new spiral pattern bio balls. <flex>

I have a undergravel filter in my basement, I used it in a fresh water system, never thought of using it in reverse but always hated replacing the air stones!

I had at least 6 of these before going salt . I had freshwater tanks since I was about 13 tossed out ,y last one after I took it out of my 90

Although the tank always had a reverse UG filter I was not in a coma all those years so as "new" technologies came out, I tried them. I was here and saw all of them come and go. I built a really cool revolving wet dry system and it ran for many years. I still think a wet dry system is the best thing for a fish only system. I had a DSB on a test tank and that didn't go well. I do not like DSBs at all and feel they should build a fence around them and burn them. Stupid invention.
Shallow sand bed is OK but is just for looks as it doesn't do much for health.
Of course I feel a properly designed RUGF is the best, longest living system with the most health benefits. Just my opinion of course.

T12 lights, Under gravel filters, sandstones, air pumps that looked like the little engine that could, and starting your tank with damsels.

Talking some nice very early 80's memories. 1981 to be exact or at least that was what I used back then.

Not sure if they were the good old days, but for FO it worked.

I have to see if I can come out and play the next meeting.

Curious if you ever, over time, had to add dolomite to the tank. I ask because isn't that a calcium based rock similar to what is put in a calcium reactor. I have wondered whether gravel systems with particulate at the bottom would break down the rock, and in the process bring the ph down to such an extent that it would dissolve the rock. Reactors dissolve arragite/shells at around 6.5 ph methinks. I feel like my sand dissolves over time, but I don't have proof. If you have water constantly flowing thru gravel I wonder whether it keeps the ph from ever dropping low enough to dissolve the rock.

I used to use reverse gravel systems in freshwater tanks, but we used a good old mj1200 pointing down - way better than bubble stones and air pumps. We used this because it seems that the angel fish fry would get sucked into the grave if set up the normal way. It also reduced the current in the tank. In such systems we didn't have any creatures growing in the fresh water gravel rocks - well not like salt water tanks anyway. As a result, it got really gunky down there.

The pessimist in me thinks that we got alway from undergravel filters because there was more money in bioballs, hob filters (the most expensive pieces of plastic ever - don't forget replacement carbon filters), and canister filters.

I don't remember ever adding any dolomite and if I did, it was many years ago. It's also hard to tell if any of it dissolved but if it did, it would be such a small amount that it wouldn't do anything.

Back