Who uses dosing pumps?!?

new2saltyfish

Non-member
i currently have a 24 gallon fluval all in one system. I use real ocean water and change out 1 gallon of water per day and do NOT currently dose my tank. It's getting to the point where i have so many corals in the tank that dosing is becoming a necessity. I intend on still using the ocean water but need a dosing system. Dosing by hand is not an option, too easy to kill things. I'm looking for an easy system. Not sure if they make them or not but if they have something that has probes for CA, ALK, and MG and correct as needed on it's own that would be the ideal system. Anyone with experience have any suggestions?

I have GHL Profilux Slave 4 doser controlled by Profilux controller for more than 4 years going into 5 years without any issue.

I have long thought that a closed loop feed back system like on your wish list is the way to go but its a ways off, it would be nice to just to dial in your desired levels and be done with it. In order to do this sensors would be required that provided the measurments on a continuous basis and not on a sample basis with chemicals as we do now.

Jim

I don't think there are any cal, alk, mag probes. The way to do it is to find your daily demand and adjust your doser for that amount.

That would be nice but if you closely monitor your tanks parameters and cross reference them to your ph you can get pretty close maybe that is one way of automating a dosing pump ??

For my 125, I use (2) Bulk Reef Supply dosing pumps, (2) cheapo timers, baking soda & calcium chloride. Took a bit to get the dosage to where it needs to be (a couple weeks), but since then, it has been very easy. Just check levels every couple of weeks, and refill my 5 quart containers about once every two weeks.

Back