Who uses a light shade??

wdebenedettojr

BRS Member
So I have seen a number of 3d printed light shades online for all the major branded leds out there. My lights are inside a canopy so I’m not really worried about the blinding nature leds can have but I have read that having the shades on the leds helps prevent excess algae on the glass as it stops light spilling. I have a standard 90 gallon with 2 xr 30 radios g6 pros. Wondering if anyone is running them and looking for feedback

Some LEDs are designed to provide light by bouncing off of the glass. I’ve used 3D printed shades to prevent light spilling into my eyes. Tunze care magnet scraper takes care of any algae on the glass.

I 3d printed some for my radions g6 pros but, like stated above just to keep the light out of my eyes on the front and sides of each light leaving the middle and back open and don’t see any difference on the front and side glass algae wise here.
Pictures attached for reference, I only printed them long enough to block the light from my eyes and and allow as much as I could into the tank via not printing the middle and back, normally they’re printed longer and all sides online so dunno if that would make a difference algae growth wise. So you could count my experience as no benefit to potentially what you’re looking for.
IMG_3415.jpeg
IMG_3413.jpeg

Last edited:
Back