Bio-Wheel Question

Nikkoli110

Non-member
Hey guys, I have a question about the bio-wheel on my filter. I have a 29 gallon reef set up, with about 35 lbs live rock, 20 lbs live sand, 4 small fish, and assorted corals. I have a bak pak protein skimmer, and an 18" hob fuge that I keep a 4 inch sand bed, some live rock, and macro algae in. I have the (I think, I'm at work so I cant check) 175 Penguin Bio-Wheel filter. I have heard that these things are nitrate spounges, and that they re-release nitrates into the water. I change my water about every 1-1/2 weeks to 2 weeks, and do about 4-5 gallons. My nirtates have still been about 25-30. All my corals seem to be doing great, my xenia is spreading like nuts. I have a good clean up crew, serpant star, about 20 blue leg hermits, 20 snails, 2 scarlet crabs, and an emerald crab. I have good water movement, coming from the filter, the bak pak return, the fuge return, and also a zoo-med powersweep. Can I take out the Bio-wheel? The thing never seems to acutaly move, so its kind of the bio-sit there nitrate sponge. Can I just take it out, or would that create a ammonia, and then nitrite hike? I also change the filter pad every time I change the water, so the nitrate doesnt build up there. Thanks...

With the skimmer and fuge (in addition to a good amount of live rock) you already have, you shouldn't need the filter at all... I'd say it's safe to remove not only the bio-wheel, but the whole filter. If you're using it to run carbon, you can remove the filter pad and use a carbon bag in its place... this way you only have chemical filtration, not mechanical (well, just a little). That should help with your nitrates, 25-30 is really high for a reef.

Nuno

Can I take out the Bio-wheel?
Yes and IMO you should,
Bio wheels work good in Fish Only tanks fresh and salt, as they provide a place for beneficial bacteria to colonize. In a reef your sand and rock provide that place and your bio wheel becomes that nitrate collector you mention.

Oh goody! That baby is coming out tonight then! Plus it looks like crap because I actually have my bak-pak on the side of my tank, because I had no room in the back. Now I can move that into the back and it will look better. If I remove the whole filter, could I just place a bag in the return side of my bak pak or in my hob fuge with carbon in it?

Yes,
the return side of a bak-pak is a great place to run a media bag.

Back