Bio-wheel

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Will I benefit from marineLand bio-wheel on a reef tank? Thanks

I've always read that they raise your nitrates. I've always heard people say to pull the wheel off.

I benefited from a bio wheel on a 45 gal in a tight space! I took all of their filtration and wheels out, added a few inches of sand, some rubble and cheato....instant mini fuge! Worked well, lots of pods!

I have an Emperor filter in the mail (hopefully can get it soon).
I am going to use it to run carbon but it is a shame to rip the wheels off.
I hope the wheels can increase some biological filtration and produce some nitrate for a future clam.

If your hoping to produce nitrate then keep it on, they are really noisy though. I ripped mine out...just waiting for someone to prune their cheato to complete my fuge. :)

jovreef said:
If your hoping to produce nitrate then keep it on, they are really noisy though. I ripped mine out...just waiting for someone to prune their cheato to complete my fuge. :)

I can give you a fistful or so..

Just a small womans handful would be great...its a small fuge :) Want a small all purple digi frag for it?

I don't need/use the bio-wheels in my tank because my ammonia and nitrite are riding at un-measureable levels. If you are going to run your tank with good skimming and enough live rock/sand, you probably won't need the bio-wheels either.

I am using a wheel-less emperor for carbon and flow. The spray bars that would "power" the bio-wheels seem to be the loud part. So, unless you shut them off completely, which I've never tried to do, it will still be noisy even without the bio-wheels. It gets worse as salt creep closes off some of the holes in the bar. You can reduce the sound by keepign the spray holes clear and aiming them at where the water flows up and out of the emperor and back into the tank.

Back