Calcium Reactor Question

fishman99

Non-member
Hi everyone,
I have a question on calcium reactors. Can a reactor overdose and raise calcium and alkalinity out of range? From my understanding, a calcium reactor is only used to maintain a certain calcium and alkalinity level and not raise it. I have a very lightly stocked tank with mostly fish and live rock. I only have a couple of leathers, candy cane, and frogspawn. If I do a 30% water change to bring the tank to proper specs, will a calcium reactor maintain the levels or overkill it since its so lightly stocked? I have a Korallin C-3002 reactor

I would say it's overkill for what you have. I have a mixed reef and I maintain calcium and alk with just kalkwasser top off. I plan on adding a bunch more sps after the auction this Sunday and might have to hook up my 2 part setup... So those are two viable options before a calcium reactor. Also I would not run a calcium reactor without a controller for the added safety and backup...

You can certainly over dose from using a ca reactor. You want to tune it to the point that its maintaining, but going overboard isnt hard to do.

Back