Calcium reactor question

Are you peeking in my window? I couldnt get any bubbles solenoid not opening. I took the box of it, and it caked with some crap that isnt allowing it to open. So much for buyinh second hand.:mad:

Can you get new solenoids? Or do I need a new regulator, and where ould I get one?

Its just the little silver box on the line. The solinoid is working.

I've been down the path of trying to fix those solenoids but was never successful. I disassembled, stoned the piston chamber, and cleaned everything in alcohol but wasn't able to alleviate the sticking problem.

IMO, once they start sticking they need to be replaced. You can purchase a similar solenoid for around $40 and you'll probably be good for a couple years. If you want to bite the bullet and throw down the cash for the long term you can purchase the aquariumplants electronic solenoid for a couple hundred bucks. Either option will work.

Thanks guys. it looks like I am going to have to go the cheaper route. It says something about a check valve do I need that? I know I dont have one, and hope I dont need one.Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Thanks again Steve. Anything else I might need before I hit checkout?LOL Any place to get this stuff on the East coast to save on shipping/time?

Derek

The links I posted are for reference, of course it's always good to support your LFS.

Jeremy at CRA tends to carry a lot of these hard to find items ;).

Thanks Steve, they carry it locally? I have never met Jeremy, maybe a good excuse to make a road trip later this week.

Derek you going to hate this suggestion. Ditch the regulator you have and buy one from aquariumplants.com. Their electronic one KICKS some major donkey.

It is way easier to use then the one you have.

Thanks Steve, they carry it locally? I have never met Jeremy, maybe a good excuse to make a road trip later this week.

LEAVE ME OUT OF IT.

:p

Jeremy is a good guy. He's a bit of a smaht ace, but still a good guy. If you like that sort of thing? Come to think of it, youse two'z will get along real nice like.

Ehaaahmony, eat ya haaaht out. :D

Lol!! so what Paul is your personal chauffeurs?
Derek's a human gps... knows all street names, knows how many yards before a turn LOL

This thread is great, only because i have just purchased the same exact reactor (finally getting away from two part and water changes to regulate calcium) and was wondering what everyone was using for controller/regulator combo's thanks alot dcforester.

was wondering what everyone was using for controller/regulator combo's

I'm currently using an el' cheapo ($120) Milwaukee controller, accurate to the first decimal, which is fine for a CA reactor IMO. I plan to switch it over to run on my Apex soon though because I have an extra PH probe port available.

LEAVE ME OUT OF IT.

:p

Jeremy is a good guy. He's a bit of a smaht ace, but still a good guy. If you like that sort of thing? Come to think of it, youse two'z will get along real nice like.

Ehaaahmony, eat ya haaaht out. :D

I think I know where I can t get a regulator from someone who has one, but isnt using it. That way you can save yourself a trip:D.

As far as knowing all the streets, thats what happens when you spend your life running in circles....

...OR you could cut the solenoid out of the equation completely, get a quality inline metering valve (Nupro S), set your bubble count perfectly, and use your controller to shut off the CA reactor feed pump if pH in the main tank drops below a certain point.

I find it much easier to have stable, consistent output when I use the metering valve instead of relying on the open/shut of a solenoid.

Many ways to skin meow meows.

...OR you could cut the solenoid out of the equation completely, get a quality inline metering valve (Nupro S), set your bubble count perfectly, and use your controller to shut off the CA reactor feed pump if pH in the main tank drops below a certain point.

I find it much easier to have stable, consistent output when I use the metering valve instead of relying on the open/shut of a solenoid.

Many ways to skin meow meows.

You were the next one to get bothered. The set up I bought is like yours, so I figured what better way to see it hooked up. I think I might be stopping by again, and taking a look under the stand.

And as far as Milwaukee regulators, I think they are pretty darn good. I called them up to get a price on a new solenoid. They asked me how old the unit was. I told them 3-4yrs old, and they asked me how long I had it. I told him 3-4 days. He said to box it up, send it to them, and when they receive it they will ship me a new one free of charge.

There might be better regulators, but I dont know of better service than that.

Stay Tuned,

BTW PT you are not the only person I know with a new regulator sitting in a box in there basement, not being used.:p

Back