Calcium reactor question

When setting up a cal reactor, how fast does the water go thru?

Does it drip, or is it a stream?

Also where should I have it dump back in my tank? I have a section in the overflow, or just in the sump?

Where should the ph probe be placed? I dont have a place in the reactor. Should I buy one of those holders, and from where. I think I asked this earlier, but I have had a rough week, and forget.

Thanks Derek

Just curious. I had a couple questions, so I figured since i paid to be a member here I would try before trying at RC.

30 ml/minute might be a good place to start but it totally depends on your system requirements. Every tank is different.

PH probe placement was discussed extensively earlier in this thread :).

Last edited:
30 ml/minute might be a good place to start but it totally depends on your system requirements. Every tank is different.

PH probe placement was discussed extensively earlier in this thread :).

I have one on order, put not sure if its going to fit?

I made a PH probe holder, and it inline with the reactor. Do I need a second one for the tank?

Also what should the ph be running at in the reactor?

TIA Derek

Providing that the PH doesnt drop to much in the reactor, will the Cal Reactor run all the time? Is this how they are suppose to be, constantly running unless there is a problem?

I made a PH probe holder, and it inline with the reactor. Do I need a second one for the tank?

Also what should the ph be running at in the reactor?

TIA Derek
I believe most people that monitor the ph inside the reactor stay around 6.6. I currently only have one ph probe so I opted to monitor the ph of my tank water instead of the reactor. If the ph of my tank starts to go to low the CO2 shuts off. Ideally I would like to have two ph probes so I could monitor the ph inside the reacotor and the tank water so that I could control it both ways.
Providing that the PH doesnt drop to much in the reactor, will the Cal Reactor run all the time? Is this how they are suppose to be, constantly running unless there is a problem?
My CA reactor is feed CO2 24/7. It is only set to shut down the CO2 if my tanks ph starts to creep to low.

Yes, circulating inside the reactor, and flow going in and out all the time (even when you run out of Co2 and have to refill the tank, don't want the water to get stagnant in there).

Use the controller to control PH/Co2, and adjust the flow rate if needed. If you have the PH right, and the Ca reactor isn't keeping up with demand, then increase the effluent rate, and the controller will adjust Co2 as needed.

You want the PH to be 6.6-6.8 inside the reactor. If you use course media either end of that is fine. If you use fine media, keep it on the higher end of that.

Your controller can handle two PH probes, so I would run one in the reactor, and one for the tank itself. Skip the ORP, it's not all that useful anyway.

Thanks john, my Ph in the effluent line is 6.3 to 6.6, should it be staying steady? I only have the Apex Lite so I only have the one probe port. I have a Amer Mar PP controller with a new probe, so I might sell that and buy the PM1 module, and use 2.

Does anyone have the setup for there Apex they are using?? Mine is working to shut offat 6.3, but it takes forever to come back on.

To keep the PH more stable is that done by slowing down the CO2?

Thanks for all the help

Last edited:
Possibly.

How is the Co2 being fed in now? When it's ON, how many bubbles per min?

Back