Calcium Reactor Question?

MIG1969

Non-member
I just Purchase a MRC CR-2 Dual Reactor. In the process of setting it up, little confuse on the connecting part. However, someone had mention that I should get a PH monitor. Not sure what they mean! Currently I have an AC Jr with a PH Probe.

Question: Would I be able to connect my Reactor to the AC Jr?
Would I still need to purchase a PH monitor?

Appreciate your input.
Thanks

I just Purchase a MRC CR-2 Dual Reactor. In the process of setting it up, little confuse on the connecting part. However, someone had mention that I should get a PH monitor. Not sure what they mean! Currently I have an AC Jr with a PH Probe.

Question: Would I be able to connect my Reactor to the AC Jr?
Would I still need to purchase a PH monitor?

Appreciate your input.
Thanks

The AC Jr is perfect to hook up to the reactor. You can use it to control the pH in the reaction chamber. Does the main chamber have a pH probe holder in it? Basically you would set you controller to keep your pH around 6.5-6.6 much lower and your media begins to turn to mush. You then use the drip rate to deliver how much you need to maintain levels. Try not to make too many adjustments at once as it takes a while to stabalize. I will normally make an adjustment wait a few days and then test and see where I am at then readjust until dialed in. If you don't have a high demand, you can also run a slightly higher pH not using as much CO2. Remember you basically have 2 ways to adjust by increasing CO2 to drop pH or to keep pH constand and increase the effluent out of the reactor. Keep in mind though that increasing the flow through the reactor in turn will require more CO2 to keep the pH the same.

As far as the controller you would just need 2 statement
If pH < 6.6 then CO2 off
If pH > 6.8 then CO2 on

This would basically turn the CO2 off when it gets below 6.6 qand then back on when it gets above 6.8. This requires your CO2 regulator to have a solonoid that can shut off when power goes out.

In addition, I always try to adjust the pH the best I can so the solonoid rarely comes on and off and is there for more of a failsafe and not to control the pH just in case it ever fails open.

And lastly on my aquacontroller, I am still using x10's and a solonoid will not draw enough current to turn on and off when the command is sent. What I had to do was plug a small powerhead into the same outlet with a 3 plug adapter that turns on and off with the solonoid and jut threw it in the sump. Works fine. I don't think the direct connect modules have this issue though but one thing to test for sure that the solonoid can be turned off.

There are lots of ways to dial in a reactor and this is only one of them and what works for me.

this is pretty good information. thanks alot.

I have an AC JR as well. I think this person as well as myself am asking, should we have 2 PH monitors? one for the display and one for the effluent chamber?

And what would make PH go UP? other than Kalk in the ATO?

I always like to fully understand the concept of equipment before I jump in, as should anyone else. And I have a calcium reactor coming at end of month, and a Kalc reactor sitting next to me waiting for its counterpart. Am I doing this right?
Kalk in ATO to raise PH and Calc C02 injection to lower PH in the effluent chamber?

I guess the confusing part is, what does ATO Kalk parameters have to do with the Effluent PH and how is that giving us that 420ish calcium level we need while maintaining PH in the display?

I will be happy to read any article put in front of me. I've been doing so over the past few weeks, but the laymens of it is never fully explained.

Thanks in advance, and great response.

There's a lot of experienced people around here, someone break it down please.

how does a calcium reactor work with respect to display tank ph and effluent chamber ph with the addition of a kalk reactor. i hear alotta people saying "calcium monitors" don't work..... does that mean regular tests until some pattern requirement is met?

all the while using a controller

It all depends on the reactor you are getting. If it has a second reaction chamber and is a reverse flow unit then I would hold off on the Kalc. The reason PH can go down in a tank with a reactor is that the Co2 in the reactor brings down the ph of the water going through it. It does this to melt the media. This low PH water is constantly dripping into your display and can therefore bring down the ph of the whole system. To combat this some people drip kalc, which has a high ph value and can counter act the reactors acidic effluent. A good reactor like I mentioned above makes better use of its Co2 by recirculating it in the chamber and by having it flow through a second chamber the ph is brought back up before exiting to the tank.

Last edited:
I set up my reactor last week and even though I have it on a monitor (reefkeeper Lite) the ph is steady in the reactor at around 6.7 the controller has not had to shut the co2 at all. If you can get the ph in the reactor to stay steady at around this point then you wont have to rely on the controller. Some people just turn up the co2 and let it flow and the controller turns off and on a solenoid based on a ph value you set it to. This way you dont have to get the bubble count and flow just right. The downfall to this is you are relying on a solenoid to not fail. If it does fail with this method you can whipe out your whole tank..

Back