Can it be saved?

jdeb101

Non-member
So I don't really know how this happened, but my prism favia is pretty much completely bleached and the flesh keeps receding on it. It's been like this a few months already, I tried moving it to different locations, etc but it just doesn't seem to want to bounce back. I currently have it on my sandbed (which is where it originally was for prob a year doing fine).

So can it be saved, or should I take it out of my tank in case it's die off is polluting it?

Here's a pic, but note its pretty much completely white now: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/w9jcla5qbf2w446/9JEFfe2qRB

Looks like it's knocking on deaths door for sure. But if it isn't rapidly degenerating it's probably not degrading water quality too much. I had a frogspawn that bounced back from looking pretty much dead... took about 2-3 months to turn around. Then again I knew why it bleached.

I have a favia that I thought for sure wasn't going to make it. I changed its positions in the tank. Nothing helped. I switched back to T5 lighting and the thing came roaring back.

So I don't really know how this happened, but my prism favia is pretty much completely bleached and the flesh keeps receding on it. It's been like this a few months already, I tried moving it to different locations, etc but it just doesn't seem to want to bounce back. I currently have it on my sandbed (which is where it originally was for prob a year doing fine).

So can it be saved, or should I take it out of my tank in case it's die off is polluting it?

Here's a pic, but note its pretty much completely white now: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/w9jcla5qbf2w446/9JEFfe2qRB

You mentioned it started a few months ago, but how long have you had the actual coral and what has changed since you noticed the issue?

It is just the one coral, right?

I did switch from T5 to LED earlier this month. However like I said this has been going on for a few months now... so I don't think it's light related unless it had to do with a spectrum shift in my T5's that were about due for replacement before I switched to LED's. But again... I don't see any similar issues with other coral in tank. The frags original location was on sandbed in a somewhat shaded spot by my caps. It's now sitting in a similar spot....

swings in alk and temp are usually what starts it...might want to dip in betadine or iodine

Any nippers in your tanks? Otherwise, how are your parameters? What do you use for top off water? Are there any corals near it that could have stung it?

Any nippers in your tanks? Otherwise, how are your parameters? What do you use for top off water? Are there any corals near it that could have stung it?

Only fish is my clown. He's no nipper not to mention hardly goes to that side of tank. I haven't tested param's in months :eek:... Top off is RO/DI (0tds). Only corals near it were kenya tree, blue cloves, and a couple ricordia...

I'm guessing some sort of disease got to it... I forgot to mention that actually one eye in the middle of the frag died off a year ago or longer. The rest of the frag was looking fine after that though and not until the past couple months did the entire frag start dying off and bleaching... :(

I would check your parameters then. Its possible one or more are way off. I have founds most soft corals can grow in almost any condition, but most LPS obviously much more sensitive to parameter swings, etc.

Back