Ques. (Daily Question?) How have you dealt with cyanobacteria successfully?

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
I have been successful increasing flow in dead spots. I had also been successful using chemiclean (you have to make sure you have an airstone in the tank though) = lots of salt creep.

I'm dealing with it right now . It always seems to hit when I get lazy and don't monitor my RODI TDS. Then it's manual removal and water changes.. That said, I might grab some chemiclean and give it try.

I have some in my 60 cube seahorse tank. I’ve been manually removing during water changes, and I’ve been doing my own diy coral snow every other week or when I remember/feel like it. I also have a pistol shrimp that helps out too turning the sand over, I have a fighting conch, and a few nassarius snails for sand agitation. They can’t keep up with the whole tank though.

I'm dealing with it right now . It always seems to hit when I get lazy and don't monitor my RODI TDS. Then it's manual removal and water changes.. That said, I might grab some chemiclean and give it try.
make sure you take your skimmer cup off because it will overflow during treatment. Airstone is also important because it will deplete oxygen in the water column

I have been successful increasing flow in dead spots. I had also been successful using chemiclean (you have to make sure you have an airstone in the tank though) = lots of salt creep.
I have used chemiclean successfully also. Yes it does make your skimmer go bananas. I was also siphoning it out when cleaning the sand through a filter sock holder I hang in the sump.

Exactly the same here, remove skimmer cup but fully cover sump to avoid tons of salt creep mess. I’ve usually left it in tank 7-10 days at normal dose for full success. And never any related losses.

3 day blackout on its own did a pretty good job too.

I also only tend to get cyano anytime I go too long without changing my rodi filters, and it becomes an obvious fix as I know it's time to change them out and perform a few water changes with manual removal as well they then get controlled.

Ive used chemiclean in the past very effectively but it comes back if you dont remedy the issue. Usually its source water but sometimes you have silicates leaching into water. Ive also used microbacter7 and MBclean to help with that issue...it worked also *for me.

Back