Doctor Tang

jdemarco

Non-member
Anyone here "have" or "know of" someone who has a Doctor Tang (Acanthrus Chirurgus) ???? My real quetion is whethere or not people have had succes with different genus of tangs being able to coexist together in a tank life......for example if you have two tangs of different genus and wanted a third tank of a third and different genus, good chance they do ok???

(besides the territorial aspectof course of the current two already being setlled into the tank) I know it would have been better to add all three at once but thats in the past) I am looking to add this fish (Doctor Tang) to a tank with blue hipppo(paracanthurus) and yellow tang(zebrasoma) who have been in for about 6 months......any thoughts?

I have 4 tangs in my tank.

Tomini, Blue Hippo, Gold Rim, Kole

I plan on adding at least one more but maybe two. The only issue I have ever had was the Tomini beating on a new one. I don't think this is a tang dependent thing, as he beats on ANY new fish that comes into the system. After a day or two of this everyone is happy again... At least in my experience.

how big is tank.....i have 110 with lots and lots of rock work. does it help to be of different genus? what kinds do you have living together...

how big is tank.....i have 110 with lots and lots of rock work. does it help to be of different genus? what kinds do you have living together...

Mine is a 155gal with medium amount of rock work.

Tomini, Blue Hippo, Gold Rim, Kole tangs

i would say it should be fine as long as it in at least the size of the tangs you have in your tank right now.

I added both the kole and the goldrim when they were considerably smaller then the other two.

my blue hippo is the boss and is biggest, the yellow is the most territorial and the kole i have is the most docile of the 3....pretty much just like the books would have predicted....so deciding whether or not this guy will work out for me.

Is the 110G tank in your sig? If so, that's a 4' tank, correct?

Assuming it is a 4' tank, I would not suggest adding a third tang (or the second for that matter). Tangs are swimmers, and territorial. You can crowd them in, but their health will suffer over time.

I'd also say that if it is a 4' tank then regardless of how they might get along otherwise, 4 of them prob would stress each other out, esp one that can get pretty large.

You have 3 now right? "Tang s-BHippo,Kole,Yellow"

I kept 2 in a 4' 150, PBT & Yellow and they seemed to get in eachothers way here and there.

I have always been told that length of a tank is more important they your volume when it comes to tangs. One guy I know says he would never put a tang in a tank less then 72'' long, he says they do not act like they do in the wild in anything smaller. IDK how true that is i have never seen them in the wild, but i have seen tangs in smaller tanks that seem happy. I have a 72" 100gal and i only want to add one more, maybe 2 if i go with smaller tangs.

Back