Is there a doctor in the house?

Dave H

Non-member
Having trouble my Duncan stopped opening and now the trumpets are looking strained and algae is growing on one. No ammonia , nitrates, nitrites, or phophate. Calcium is 450 and alkalinity is 9.1. I have a 1 k gyre medium flow and just a Fluval reef Led set at 100% blue and 50% white which I would think is only moderate amount of light. Tank is about 7 months old . Hammers and torches and softies and sponges are doin great. Any thoughts would be much appreciated thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2903.JPG
    IMG_2903.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 232
How's the temp and what do you use to check the salinity?
Any critters in the tank that pick at it?

Swings in alkalinity or temp can stress them. The fluval reef light is pretty underpowered in my experience. Unless thy upped their bulbs I was getting very little light with mine when I had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swings in alkalinity or temp can stress them. The fluval reef light is pretty underpowered in my experience. Unless thy upped their bulbs I was getting very little light with mine when I had it.

My salinity is .025 I use a refractometer that I calibrate each use but my alkalinity has been swinging between 8.4 to 10.4 after I started putting kalkwaser in my top off. I'm trying to dial it in so that could be it and I don't think the light is strong enough to grow sps

That alk swing is probably not helping. Kalk in top off can do that. Warmer days and there is more evaporation so more kalk cooler days you get less.

Give them a dip with seachem reefdip.

Back