Does Salt Go Bad?

pesto

Keeping it Simple!
I am using "Red Sea Coral Pro" salt and it is about three months old. Preparing the water for my water change, I ran a circulating pump for 24 hours to mix the salt. After the 24 hours, the water remained cloudy and when I transferred it to the tank the salt was still granular. Is this ok or does salt go bad?

3 months should be nothing. I've had salt for over a year with no ill effects. Only problem you could run into is that it settles and the salt at the top of the bucket might have different alk/calc/mag than the salt at the very bottom...

3 months should be nothing. I've had salt for over a year with no ill effects. Only problem you could run into is that it settles and the salt at the top of the bucket might have different alk/calc/mag than the salt at the very bottom...

thats why i always shake the bucket of salt up before i use it... evin if its only been a week

did you by any chance add water to salt? because then your alk and ca will stick together, you should add salt to the entire volume of water

That may be it! I added the salt as my water change bucket was beginning to fill. I did not wait for the bucket to be full. I then added my pump to mix it.

well you ought to test your params then because your alk mag and ca could be low depending on the size of your water change

My salt hardens up as well, nothing a screwdriver can't help with. Take a chunk of it and when it hit the water melts like ice.

Back