What salt does everyone use

Hw marine and Brightwell Neo Marine mixed 50/50. Don't ask me why i'm mixing those. There is absolutely no valid reason or science behind it! I do test alk after every batch is mixed and suuplement that to bring it to the tank level before water change.

IO salt is inexpensive not due to lesser quality, it is due to the mass amount it is produced.
Many public aquariums use IO salt, if I remember correctly, the whale pool at the Mystic aquatium is IO salt. (Using local natural seawater May not be the best idea in many situations).
I used IO salt in the past for many years and had no problems with growing corals: soft, LPS, or SPS.

Redsea Pro after overnight mixing (12 hours) without a heater.

1160A774-BF92-49B6-8A8C-FEAAE507958F.jpeg

I use TMP and mix in a 20gal grey trash can. Mixes clear within about 40mins. No residue left but to be safe I rinse bucket with hot water and dry with paper towels before next fill. I used to use HW Marine and like that salt too, just wanted my alk closer to 7.

I did reef crystals for my first two years then regular instant ocean for the last 1.5 yrs. Both work very well, I have a 120g mixed reef with lots of acros, other SPS, LPS, etc... As others have said, if you are dosing Alk/Ca/Mg then that's how you are maintaining your water chemistry, the salt mix is having minimal effects with 10% water changes.

That said I seem to run a pretty ghetto system by local standards using arm & hammer baking soda to make Randy's Recipe two part and Epsom salts to maintain magnesium, but happy with the results.

Back