fallow ? meaning?

skyedolphan

Non-member
OK I hope that I am not the only one but ...
I thought after almost 10 years on the Internet and having teens around that I had gotten pretty good with all the abbreviations but.
I have been seeing this one a lot on here and am pretty sure I have the meaning correct
Fallow= a tank without fish for an x amount of time?

I know it had been spoken about previously not sure if it was ever done as I did do a search on here to find the definition but was unable to.

Is there any way of doing a sticky work sheet with marine and regularly used abbreviations
maybe place it in the introduction page?
I would be willing to work it out on excel and attach it to a thread or send it to a MOD

just a thought and is my assumed definition correct?

It's a term usually used with crops, but here is the definition:

fal·low1 /ˈfæl
thinsp.png
oʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fal-oh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1.(of land) plowed and left unseeded for a season or more; uncultivated. 2.not in use; inactive: My creative energies have lain fallow this year. –noun

Fallow in this hobby means running a tank without hosts....usually for the purpose of starving a parasite for the duration of it's life cycle.

for example....if the tank had ich, no fish in it for 8-10 weeks

for red bugs, AEFW, etc, no SPS for hosts, again for about 8 weeks.....

Thank you Jay
Dawn ;) thats how I figured it meant to leave without fish
just wanted to be sure I was correct and Jay you explained it perfectly tank you ;)

To answer the definition thread...
Dawn, go ahead and start one and we will make it a sticky.
You can add the spreadsheet as an attachment to your post, and update whenever you find more terms.

Back