Filteration

Marlboro

Whatcha lookin at ?!
I have a 75 gallon that finished cycling two weeks ago. Its setup to be a fowlr. I have around 40 lbs live rock( 70 more coming in from Scott and Ray) and 80 lbs live sand in there right now. I use two emperor 400s, and 2 power heads as well. I decided to make it a reef :D . I am trying to find a sump/fuge with built in skimmer. What else do I need ?? Should I take off the emperors or leave them in ?? Also whats an overflow ?? Thanks !!

An overflow serves to drain water from a display tank to a sump below. Internal overflows drain water through a hole drilled in the back or bottom of the tank, while external or hang-on-back (HOB) overflows siphon water over the rim of an undrilled tank, down to the sump.

If you've got a tank set up already, and it's not drilled, you'll probably want a HOB overflow. Or you could drain the tank and get someone to drill it for you. The only problem with HOB overflows is making sure that they don't lose siphon, because if they do your display tank could overflow. That said, there are many people who have good luck with them.

Personally I wouldn't get an integral sump/skimmer, because it cuts down on your options. If you just use an aquarium that fits inside your stand, you can get a used skimmer from someone here on the board, and not spend too much money. Then later, if you feel the need, you can upgrade to a better skimmer without replacing your sump. I've seen a couple skimmers for sale recently that might work for you. A CPR bakpak would be on the lower end for a 75g (but probably similar in performance to an integral skimmer, and much cheaper). reefnroll is selling a Berlin skimmer that is probably about the right size for you. And I think there's an ETSS skimmer that would be a top-shelf choice for your reef. Take a look around. You'll probably find a few options.

As far as the emperors, you could use one for running carbon, but you probably want to take out the sponge filters on both, because it could create a buildup of nitrates in your tank, which is ok for FO, but not so good for a reef. I'd get rid of the second one altogether, and get another couple powerheads for flow (maybe look into a seio 820).

Good luck. Have fun setting up you reef!

Nate

as far as the sump go you could DIY it and save some money. put the money toward a good skimmer. depending on what size sump you want, you could get a tank to fit right under your stand

I would recomend driving around and visiting a few members' tanks to see what you like and help decide what type of equipment options there are for you. It also helps to have an idea about the livestock that will go in there and what those requirements are. Lots of folks here love to show off their tanks, and you'll probably end up with a bunch of starter frags too.

Marlboro said:
I have a 75 gallon that finished cycling two weeks ago. Its setup to be a fowlr. I have around 40 lbs live rock( 70 more coming in from Scott and Ray) and 80 lbs live sand in there right now. I use two emperor 400s, and 2 power heads as well. I decided to make it a reef :D . I am trying to find a sump/fuge with built in skimmer. What else do I need ?? Should I take off the emperors or leave them in ?? Also whats an overflow ?? Thanks !!

Probably more sand!! 80 pounds in a 75 doesn't sound like it would be deep enough for denitrification...how many inches you got? (so to speak :D ).

Your welcome to see mysetup intime your near pepperell. just give me a p/m or call and stop by.

Nate: Thanks for the explanation !! I ll take out one of the emperors and let it run and test the water everyday.

Paine43: I am not that good with DIY, I dont want floods in my house :p

Flighty: I ll certainly look into checking out some of the members' systems :)

Wsonner: I have around 10inches :D :D , back on topic I have 2-3 inches of sand.

starrfish: Thanks for the link !! Great info there

clamm: I ll definitely take you up on your offer, I ll pm you thanks again !!

Thanks guys you always help !!

Marlboro said:
...Flighty: I ll certainly look into checking out some of the members' systems :)

Wsonner: I have around 10inches :D :D , back on topic I have 2-3 inches of sand....
You can check out my system any time:p

Marlboro said:
Nate: Thanks for the explanation !! I ll take out one of the emperors and let it run and test the water everyday.

Paine43: I am not that good with DIY, I dont want floods in my house :p

Flighty: I ll certainly look into checking out some of the members' systems :)

Wsonner: I have around 10inches :D :D , back on topic I have 2-3 inches of sand.

starrfish: Thanks for the link !! Great info there

clamm: I ll definitely take you up on your offer, I ll pm you thanks again !!

Thanks guys you always help !!

Wow! I keep trying to convince my wife that I...oh, nevermind :).

Seriously though, if you really will have 150 pounds of LR, add about 3 to 4 more inches of sand and get an AquaC Remora Pro skimmer or equivalent HOT skimmer. That is all you need. Seriously. If you want you can throw on a cannister filter but not necessary by any stretch. This is an excellent way to go if you are doing FOWLR. VERY low maintenance except water changes and emptying the skimmate cup daily on the skimmer. Leave the power heads in and adjust up or down as you need to get a good stiff (ug) flow around and through your LR. Get rid of the Emporers, don't need em. So, in a nutshell here's what your filtration setup would look like:

150# live rock -- bio filter/denitrification
160 pounds deep sand bed -- denitrification and critter cradle
GOOD HOT skimmer like the Remora Pro
Couple or three good power heads for circulation

Done! This tank can be as hard as you want to make it but, ESPECIALLY with a fish only tank, it is so simple and virtually maint free.

Flighty: LOOOL :D

wsonner: When all the LR is added I ll have around 120 lbs. I ll add more sand to the tank. What a cannister filter ?? You said this setup would be good for a fowlr, but I need it to be for a reef, any changes ?? thanks

Marlboro said:

wsonner: When all the LR is added I ll have around 120 lbs. I ll add more sand to the tank. What a cannister filter ?? You said this setup would be good for a fowlr, but I need it to be for a reef, any changes ?? thanks

Reef tank would require a conversation about lighting and I'm not the best guy for that one. Just learning myself. Are you asking what IS a cannister filter or what TYPE of cannister filter?

Marlboro said:

Oh, but, the deep sand bed and live rock would be good foundations for a reef tank as well.

The main differences for a reef tank are more light, more flow, and remove filtration media, like sponges and bioballs.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Do you have plans for lighting?

NateHanson said:
The main differences for a reef tank are more light, more flow, and remove filtration media, like sponges and bioballs.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Do you have plans for lighting?

Heheh, you said bioballs, heheh.

I dont know what a cannister filter is ?? For lighting i just purchased an aqua medic 4 foot light, with 2x250 mh and 2x54 t5.

Back