Filteration

nice lights.

A cannister filter sits outside the tank, and gets water pumped through it, passing through media on the inside, like carbon, sponges, etc. Generally speaking, you don't need one for a reef, although some people use them for carbon.

magnium 350 is an example of a canister filter. its basically a drum with a pump in it it has filter media in it such as carbon, or just a regular sponge filter that it passes water through before going back into the tank, i used one on my 46 gallon, but it really wasn't needed. if you do use it make sure you maintain it or overtime it can do more harm then good.

i think scott merril can get those lights at good prices, check the sponcers and if they dont have them, PM HIM...

i would go with a hood and mount the lights in it on a 75, to me it looks better....and is cheaper and aquaspace lights...you usually can find them on the forumns...i got a 2x250 pfo ballast 4 bulbs and actinics for 300 a few mths ago...all in great shape.

clamm said:
i think scott merril can get those lights at good prices, check the sponcers and if they dont have them, PM HIM...

What is a "good" price? I'm thinking of upgrading....

Ok, I have to say this and I mean it in the VERY nicest way...if you haven't learned what a cannister filter is then you MAY not have done enough research to think about jumping into a reef tank. Please don't take that wrong, just make SURE you go slowly and research very carefully before committing livestock. Check out www.wetwebmedia.com for a plethora of outstanding information on all topics you can think of. Don't do ANYTHING lightly....and just by being here asking questions it seems that you really want to do this right....again, please forgive me if this sounds haughty. I mean it only in a spirit of helpfulness.

Thanks guys for the info :)

wsonner: I am here to learn and I appreciate you giving me advice thats why I am in this forum :) I certainly want to do this right. I am taking it slowly no hurries at all. I ve visited my friends who have reef tanks and I ve never seen any cannister filters, thats why I know nothing about it. I have a couple of books about reef tanks and I am reading them whenever I have a chance. Thanks for the pointers !! :)

Back