looking to set up a new tank..........lighting help/filteration help

LMK if you want a hand with any part of building the overflow.

that would be amazing as i'd like it to look professional. could defiantly use a hand :)

not starting this project for ~2 weeks or so, just tryingto plan it all out......

bossreef if you dont mind me asking, how much was the set up? (tank/light/light mount)

and are you happy with that light, is it good for the corals?

thanks
-MP-

Costs:
Tank+stand were $210 on sale at Petsmart.
The ZeroEdge lamp tree I traded for. The lamp tree retails for $179 at the moment, but it used to retail for around $100. However, I have seen some DIY arm/stands that people made for around $20. The lamp tree is almost like one of those metal hanging bird feeders, but it is made out of aluminum (or at very least the head part where the light attaches to is aluminum) instead of iron or steel. I had thought about having a local fence company fabricate something similar to the lamp tree in case I couldn't find a used one.
The AI SOL Blue LED was around $570 after a 5% Aquacave discount.
The Tunze Reefpack (Filter & Skimmer) was about $195.
The MP10W ES in the back of the tank I received through a trade, but that runs about $265 new or around $200 used. I could have used a MP10 ES non-W, but I had the W version. The non-wireless version is about $220 new or $140? used.

Overall, I spent a total of $975 plus another $300 in trade value.

I am very happy with the AI SOL Blue. And as long as the AI LED fixture keeps working for at least 3 years, I will continue to stay happy with it. And even if it doesn't, there are replacement parts, like the LED pucks, that can be purchased. I wouldn't be very happy to have to buy replacement parts, but I know I can if I need to.

Regarding the cost of the LED fixture:
I really did not want to spend $600 or even $570 for a light fixture, but new or even used MH and T5 fixtures average around $200 or more and then there is the cost of replacing bulbs and the potential cost of a needing to buy a chiller.

I justified the purchase price of the LED fixture with the following reasoning: I bought the 27 gal to replace two 14 gal Biocubes. With the original Biocube lighting, I was spending $20 per bulb twice per year. (4 bulbs @ $20) x 2 = $160 per year. In 3.5 years I will break even to the just the cost of replacing the bulbs of the 2 Biocubes. If I purchased a new fixture for the 27 gal, the break even period is closer to 2 or 3 years instead of 3.5. Worst case scenario, I use the LED lights for a month or two and then sell or trade them for a small loss. Furthermore, I would bet that even a 1 or 2 year old AI SOL Blue LED fixture would still re-sell for at least $400.

Of course, there is also the electricity savings and the advantage of not requiring a chiller. There is also the advantage of not having to remember to change bulbs or having to remember to order bulbs. Another surprising advantage that I have enjoyed is less noise. The fans in my Biocubes, with the original lights, were pretty noisy. The only noise coming from my 27 gal is from the Tunze skimmer (barely noticeable) and from the Vortech MP10 when it is running at full speed (also barely noticeable). But, if I ever upgrade the Tunze skimmer, the amount noise will certainly increase.

Regarding the corals:
There are quite a few Boston reefers that have the AI SOL units and have had success with them. I have 2 of them, 1 on each of my tanks and all of my corals have done great so far. Granted, I have some pretty basic (meaning inexpensive) SPS and also some pretty basic softies (again inexpensive).

If I were to do it again:
I might buy a new Solana for $250 and find someone with a cheap used stand for around $100. The Tunze reefpack filter cost around $100. The Tunze filter added to the 27 gal tank + stand = around $310. A brand new Solana + cheap $100 stand would cost around $350. The Solana comes with a filtration chamber system, pump, a skimmer (albeit a really, horribly made one that will fail within a month), and more importantly, the Solana has starphire glass. The difference between starphire glass is very noticeable for me, because my tanks are directly across from each other. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't notice or care about the difference between the glass.

I would still buy the AI SOL Blue fixture, even with having the knowledge that I can make a DIY fixture for around $100 less. I don't have a problem with electronics or soldering irons, or tools. I just like the clean look of the AI fixture and I know the AI fixture works for what I have stocked in my tanks.

I would probably buy a Bubble Magus or a Nano Reef Systems skimmer instead of the Tunze 9002. Or maybe even a Hydor or an SWC…

Long … post …

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back